Dry Cutting Pavers

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by HHlandscaping, Feb 12, 2011.

1. HHlandscaping

HHlandscaping LawnSite Member

Quick Question I was told that dry cutting pavers is illegal and you could get fined up too 5000 for doing it. so my question is what is the legal way of cutting Pavers with a demp saw ?? hooking up the hose to it ?? when cutting your border this seems that it could be very messy ?? Thanks for your Help

2. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Most of our cuts are dry.

I don't know if there are laws about sitting dry, I do know that it has been talked about for a while.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. HHlandscaping

HHlandscaping LawnSite Member

lol sitting dry ? yea NJ makes new Laws everyday trying to screw the small business owner

4. SVA_Concrete

SVA_Concrete LawnSite Senior Member

it is illegal in a way.

OSHA frowns on cutting concrete dry without the use of a respirator. i think the type called for per OSHA is n-95?

so technically speaking if you are cutting dry with no respirator and OSHA walks up yes it can be a hefty fine.

we will use a leaf blower to keep the dust clear if we don't have a good wind.

5. LVHardscape

LVHardscape LawnSite Member

We have hose hookups on our table top wet saws and also our demo saws. its kinda messy, but it deff. keeps the dust to zero. It also is a little more proffessional (esp. in a residential setting) to have a no dust. Rather than coating the whole block with a nice cloud of concrete dust!

6. DVS Hardscaper

using water to cut pavers Nov - March gets a little chilly......

7. Bru75

Bru75 LawnSite Senior Member

That, and it takes forever for the pavers to dry enough to use polysand.

8. LVHardscape

I don't mind it, my guys hate it. but its such a fine mist, the blade heats the water up, and it kinda feels nice!! haha.

9. DVS Hardscaper

Not so sure I agree with the blade warming the water. The water would have to be contained to the blade for an extended period of time for the blade to heat it up. The blade propels the water away in split seconds :)

10. LVHardscape

eh, i dunno, it feels warmer. could be an illusion, since the minute ya walk away from the saw the wind makes it colder out.