Dry Grass Question...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fleming Lawn Services, May 24, 2007.

1. Fleming Lawn Services

Fleming Lawn Services LawnSite Member

Just wondering what you guys do during this time, here in Louisville, KY. i can never remember a spring that looked this dry. I was just curious if you guys still go ahead and cut on your normal rotation or do you let it go, because for me personally i hate cutting grass that looks horrible after i am done with it, granted i need to pay the bills, but unless the people or business i am cutting wants it done i normally skip until it looks better. Just curious to see what you guys have to say and what you all do during this time, thanks!

2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I have the same problem here in Houston TEXAS.....

I'm west of houston and we have all types of soil.... a couple I have are in sand. some water all the time and others dont,,,, It's a dust bowl man....
    and when it does get rain it drains off very fast, But I'm like you I hate doing a job knowing it will liik like Poop when I'm done....
    But I think you hit the nail on the head.... We all have bills.
    I have a time slot for all my customers, if one cancels they have to pay a portion of there regular bill, other wise only weather will stio me from cutting.

Good luck

3. Bigray

Bigray LawnSite Member

when it is so dry just let it go! down here you can kill the grass bye just riding over it from the weight of the mower.

4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

monthly pay contracts.

5. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

STAY OFF THE GRASS.....................That is the best thing you can do. If your customers pay by the cut, o well, trim there bushes or put out some pine needles or Mulch. Find something else to do.............May is always a dry month. It'll rain........I promise, u wait and see, and the grass will bounce back.

6. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I don't take any lawns unless they are irrgated. Cut every week from march till november then once december and february. find extras to pay the bills. trim shrubs, aerations, dethatchings, bark installs, and rain dances.

7. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I skipped quite a few this week due to dry conditions. If the majority of the lawn is burned up, I usually skip. i can't remember a dryer May but it will rain. We started up here about 2 weeks earlier than average so as long as this dry stretch doesn't last too long, we should be ok. Actually its raining now.:cool2:

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

idk what to tell you guys, all I know is my own experience from the drought of '02, we went 6 months without a drop...

Here's what I learned:

If I cut it when it's dry and hot, I will likely kill it.
    If it's a dark green in spots, that is the first sign of heat stress.
    > Cut dark green and it usually turns yellow, this is the second and final sign.
    > Cut yellow and it turns brown, this means it is dead.

I'll get the $35, but once it is dead, it takes m.o.n.t.h.s. to recover, if ever.

What I learned it is best to wait until it's tall and really needs it, sorry for the arm twister.

9. I look at it as time to take a vacation.

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I look at it as time to consider another form of employment.