Dry Spots Between Rotors

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Felco #2, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Felco #2

Felco #2 LawnSite Member

I'm getting an evenly spaced dry spot at the mid-points between rotors. The area being irrigated is 70' x 35'. The rotors are PGP's with #6 & #3 blue nozzles and spray head to head. This is two zones piggybacked at the controller to run together. I seemed to get the best control and have minimal radius adjustment to do running them together. Do I need to split this back into two zones to get uniform distribution?

Rotors III.jpg

2. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

Sure doesn't look head to head from the picture.

3. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

No, it doesn't. It looks pattern to pattern which would definitely produce dry spots in the middle.

4. Felco #2

Felco #2 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the quick replies. I see what you mean by the picture. The photo is misleading. I'm getting 35' from the corner rotors and maybe 38 -39' on the two middle one. They have been adjusted down to 35.

5. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

Angles in pictures can be deceiving. The spray arcs should have been set to show the head to head, and maybe from a different vantage point.

I'd like to see the dry spots.... not spotted in the pic.

6. Felco #2

Felco #2 LawnSite Member

This photo was taken a while back prior to our recent dry spell. The dry areas come and go depending on rainfall. I can tell you this, the spots are small (3-4 foot on average) and dead center between each rotor near the rotor's trip points. Also there is one spot that is a bit larger right in the center of the yard.

7. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

Ummmmmmmmmm, does water hit these dry spots from the sprinklers?

8. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Seems to be missing a full circle rotor in the middle of that yard.

9. Put some cups out there and run the system. Measure the amounts you are getting. How long are you running it? My experience is that most homeowners don't crank it up 20-30% more when it gets hot and dry.

10. Felco #2

Felco #2 LawnSite Member

My last cup test came back at 1/2" for 30 minutes run time. I water at least 1" per week, but like your saying I should probably bump that up a bit. The turf is Empire Zoysia if that makes any difference.