Dry Spots Between Rotors

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Felco #2, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Felco #2

Felco #2 LawnSite Member

I'm good with that answer! Seems like it would be tough to achieve now without a redo. I could put two full circles down the center. Nozzled down, I don't think it would be be true triangular, but I might get better coverage. In the meantime, I will water more.

2. Felco #2

Felco #2 LawnSite Member

Alright, I think I have the ultimate solution on a redo. Remove rotors and replace with five mp Rotators down the backside and five down the front. Add a line down the middle with four full circle mp rotators. Head to head coverage and triangular spacing. Right?

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Or just save some money, and accept the fact that during the hottest, driest times of the year, it may be a little weak. Weigh the options and determine if the outcome outweighs the time and money.

4. Felco #2

Felco #2 LawnSite Member

You make a good point

5. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

I gotta work on my sarcasm. It doesn't seem to come across too well in my posts. :wall

6. If he bumps it up to three inches a week and it solves the problem then he can dial it back. My guess is he has a deficit. Add a heavy soaking every now and then when drought hits and then go back to your 1". Just friggin set a 2 hour run time and soaka that mother.

7. Felco #2

Felco #2 LawnSite Member

Good answer. We had a 10" deficit, now more like 7" due to good rains recently. It takes a while, sometimes close to a week to get dry spots after an inch and a half or more of rain. Bet I wasn't coming very close to field capacity with the irrigation.

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

It doesn't need to be at field capacity, and without direct measurement, there is no way you can determine that for sure. Also ignore boots, as his comments are rarely anything but TIC. If you have a 70 x 35 with sprinklers at each corner and two in the middle at 35', that is perfectly acceptable. If this is true, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the sprinklers other than perhaps running the two zones together impacting nozzle performance.

9. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I still say add a head in the middle watering a full circle.

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Come on guys. You need to determine the cause of the problem and fix it, not just throw more water at it and hope that works.