Dry Spring

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jpmako, Mar 29, 2006.

1. jpmako

jpmako LawnSite Senior Member

Is it just me or is this spring really dry?
    My guys and I are getting tired of dust. Nothing like sitting on the Z while pushing the JRCO rake and Sucking up the debris at the same time until you turn around and WHAM right in the face comes this mile long cloud of dust.
    I LOVE IT!

How are clean-ups going for the rest of you?

Jason

2. MikeW4

MikeW4 LawnSite Member

The dust does stink but it is better to deal with than it being too wet .
    :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup:

3. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I am dealing with the same thing, bagging a lot of thatch in my shirt!

But I guess it is better than burying the mower in a soggy lawn!

4. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

It's BONE dry. Yes, I said bone. Apparently we've had .8 inch of rain in March (long island). .9 inches is the driest ever. Looks like a record for us.
    The dry is good for clean-up ease though. Everything is faster and the dumping is cheaper. The dust stinks though. I walk around like freakin' Linus from snoopy- all dirty with a cloud around me.

Best advice is moldex n2400 respirators. goggles would be good if they didn't fog up, but they are a pain.

I'm not even going to bother seeding until early or mid april. Watering is illegal until 4/1 here.

5. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, it's really dry here in Northern, NJ! I did most of cleanups last week and weekend, and it was like a giant dust cloud everywhere. Hopefully we'll get a little rain soon, to settle in the 400,000 sq. ft. of fert, and the 8000lbs of lime I put down on my clients (and my) lawns, and yes, I know it's illegal :rolleyes: . I DON'T want too much rain though, I HATE working in the rain!

6. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

Real dry here. The mowing season won't start out good if it doesn't rain soon. We've only had .62 inches in the last 6 weeks. I'd rather be burdened with working in/around the rain.

7. jpmako

jpmako LawnSite Senior Member

What do you mean it's illegal?

BTW I forgot to mention that I think it's because of the dry air that my redmax ebz8000 is shocking me and sporadically shutting off. I brought it to the dealer last week and they changed the kill switch, but it is still doing the same thing. Anyone else having problems with them shutting off when you touch the throttle?

Jason