Dry Stack wall and Flagstone questions

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by JFF, Jun 10, 2008.

1. JFF

JFF LawnSite Member

Hi everyone. This week one of my customers asked me for a bid on some dry stack walls and some flagstone. I have done the labor before, but never had to bid this type of work.

Made a quick trip to the stone yard and asked some questions. I talked to a guy who told me a ton of fieldstone would cover 35 linear feet a foot high give or take. Somehow, I doubt that logic. (FYI, a ton of fieldstone at my cost will be $150.)

A ton of flagstone, meanwhile, I was told will cover around 80 square feet. That seems short to me, too. (My cost, $260/ton.)

So, the question is whether there is some way to roughly estimate how many linear feet a ton of fieldstone will cover?

My plan is to bid this at 3x materials cost unless someone can show me the error of my ways. The idea of bidding it at an hourly rate + materials seems scary.

Thanks in advance. I would appreciate any input as I am getting white knuckled over the whole thing.

2. Garyl53

Garyl53 LawnSite Member

Hi,
    I was told 20 face sf for 8" deep wall rock and 40 face sf for 4" deep wall rock per ton. This is cut sandstone about 2" thick X 2-3 ft long pieces. The 4" can be used on walls up to 1.5 ft ht. Not sure how to translate that to fieldstone though. This is $245/ton.
    G

3. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Material multiplied by X is much like this:

200SF patio w/ lots of cuts curves......8 days. 200 x $30SF = $6,000 w/ $2,000 material = $4,000 labor.....bad

400SF patio simple and square......5 days. 400 x $30SF = $12,000 w/ $4,000 material = $8,000 labor........good

This shows you getting burned and losing money on a SF pricing system. Figure your overhead........fuel, insurance, salary, payments etc......divide it out by how much it costs you to say "I'm in business" each day. Say its $500. Then add in money for growth and for you etc. Say you come out to $1,000 per day.

Project is 5 days = $5,000 labor
    Material is $2,000

Total for job = $7,000

Now, this is broken down very simple but I think you get the idea.

4. JFF

JFF LawnSite Member

Thanks guys, I believe I have it worked out.

Appreciate the help!

5. JFF

JFF LawnSite Member

I neglected to say this was a very helpful response, tthomas. Thanks a lot.