dry stacked flagstone

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by nightshutter, Jul 10, 2011.

1. nightshutter

nightshutter LawnSite Senior Member
    from UT

can dray stacked flagstone be used as a retaining wall? the wall would be 3-4 ft tall. if this makes sense, standing at ground level if the slope was straight up and down it would be about 9-11 ft tall :dizzy: also can dry stacked go along steps up a hill? It usally used on flat surfaces for flower beds.

in the location now are some poorly done rocks. Big boulders would be good but there is no access for a mini x or skid. The only access is a small set of stairs that are 3 ft wide. everything has to be carried in by hand.

This pic is what im talking about

199_Dry stack flagstone wall.jpg

2. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

for no access with equipment to do something better. Why not leave whats there, looks okay.

3. nightshutter

from UT

Oh the pic is the type of dry stack I'm talking about. The wall im talking about has railroad ties and smaller mismatching rock.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. nightshutter

from UT

Any ideas or sugestions for something different would be good. There is a flagstone patio right next to this wall
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes...............

6. nightshutter

from UT

I know it can be stacked that high but i have only seen it with raised bed or a small hill. The hill is pretty steep behind the wall. I just want to make sure.

7. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

YOu can stack it as high as you want as long as you keep increasing the width.