Dry Streambed Landscape Job

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JimLewis, Jan 18, 2008.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

This customer didn't want a lawn anymore and the large tree in their front yard was still young and already way too big for the yard. So the customer went to our website and after looking at the photos, decided they wanted a dry streambed landscape for their front yard. So this is what we did....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the complete set of Before - After Shots click here;
    http://www.lewislandscape.com/photos/gallery/album42

2. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks great ! gotta do what the customer wants..

3. JimLewis

Yep.

I actually tried to talk them out of it a little. I think a lawn in front of a house has a little wider appeal to a buyer than a landscape that does not have a lawn. But that had some drainage issues that were difficult to solve and affecting the lawn adversely and they also really wanted something low maintenance. So this made sense.

4. sicnj

sicnj LawnSite Senior Member

is tha a leyland cypress in the scape?

5. JimLewis

Over on the far right? Those are weeping alaska cedars. We didn't install those. They were already there. But they were far enough out of the way that the customer didn't want to do anything with them right now. And they are doing a great job of hiding some gawdawful utilities in that area. So we decided we'd wait until later to decide what to do with those.

Chances are they will get a little too big for this landscape too. But it will be several more years before they become a problem.

Or maybe you are referring to the 5-6' tall tree near the driveway? That's actually a mountain hemlock. They are these cute little ornamental evergreen trees that are native to the mountains in this area. They grow VERY slowly. You use them about the same as you would use a dwarf hinoki cypress. They're a great evergreen tree for smaller landscapes.

6. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

The one suggestionthat I would make is that when you do these consider that the natural stream bed is cut into the natural landscape. Our subconscious mind is very aware of that. When we see a man made dry stream bed it looks much better if it is suppressed and a bit uncomfortable when it is even with the surrounding terrain. It can be done by adding a little topography just as easily as cutting it in.

It is subtle, but it has a huge affect on the observers subconscious that makes it more comfortable.

7. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks nice, how deep did you dig for the creek bed? I have a very similar job like this to do in the spring, I hear the hardest part is positioning the rocks? Just curious as to how long it took.