?Dry turf is bumpier?????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tinkerer, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

Is it me or is some ground bumpier when the turf is dry or in need of more water?

2. mowingtowing

mowingtowing LawnSite Member

it seems bumpier to me too; its harder when its dry as heck. Also, on the steeper hills it seems my mowers are more likely to slide when its real dry.

3. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

Hate those bumps...I would think ...yes it is more bumpy errrrrrr...When she,s dry...we need the rain now.

4. It seems like when the spring growth slows down where you can mow a little faster, the ground dries out and you have to run slower for the hard bumpy ground.

It makes me wonder about these guys I read about mowing at 15 mph. Man! they've got to be wearing seat belts to stay on the mower!

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I know, even at 5-6 mph the going can get real rough. The bumping isn't too bad except it kicks the deck around from side to side throwing me off-track, that's the part I hate. That, and even if I refuse to slow down, the bumping slows the machine down anyway and you try and recover and it just gets worse so you have to slow down in the end. I can't see much over 8-10 mph except on some really flat pieces of turf which are far and few in between.

I thought about this, and it makes sense: Wet ground is soft, dry soil is hard as a rock. Yes, I would say dry stuff is if not bumpier, then certainly harder and thus, less shock absorbent.

And crazy as it may sound, bone-dry soil can be highly slippery, too... So careful on inclines.
    This is the reason I have been refusing yards consisting mostly of dirt - Once it dries out, it gets REAL dusty.

6. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

Yea, it seems bumpier. It seems that the turf thins out and gets clumpy/bumpy.