1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dry Weather vs Crabgrass/Dallasgrass

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Hookset, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Hookset

Hookset LawnSite Member

we've had a dry season in west Tn. I've had a lot of trouble this year getting rid of crabgrass and dallasgrass. I use MSMA. I just got a football field to do that has crabgrass any suggestions on how to treat it.
  2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Hookset: What's the turf ? I'm just up the road in Kingsport.
  3. Hookset

Hookset LawnSite Member

Bermuda grass is the turf. It seems that the dry weather has played a part on MSMA this year in trying to get rid of Crab and Dallas grass. I really would like to get rid of the Crabgrass/ Dallas grass in the foot ball field. It would really be a plus for my spraying part of my buisness. It's hard to tell which one it is because its cut so low.
  4. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

You need to plan on a pre-emergent in the spring and 99% of your problems
    will be cured. Its to late to spend the time or money spraying it this late
    in the year.
  5. Hookset

Hookset LawnSite Member

With Temps still running in the mid 80's it seems as though I should still be able to kill whats up. I plan on pre-M now and again in the late winter. I normally use precept in fall and pedallum in spring. Any other suggestions.
  6. scweedman

You can still spray the crab i just thought if it was alot you might just wait.
    Did you use this program this year? The ground temp in the spring is going
    to be key.
  7. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

Pre-Emergent is the way to go. Get some Dimension.
  8. Hookset

Hookset LawnSite Member

I just got the football field, I'll start Pre-M this fall and again in the late winter.
    The crab grass could be spot sprayed, it'll take some time. Has anyone been through a drought and tried to kill crab or dallisgrass that was already established? Do you think that it could have went somewhat dormant due to the dry season?
  9. scweedman

The older the crab is the harder it will be to kill. The drought may have slowed
    it down if you didn't have irrigation. But once its there it's not going any where. That's why i said it is expensive chemical and labor this late in the
    year and it will look bad dying. But since its football season you have to
    try and spray it.
  10. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

I have used MSMA on dallas and I have had OK results. Its seem like you have to spray it like 5 times to get rid of it and I don't think you have really got rid of it then. Its a tough weed.

Crabgrass is not as hard to get ride of. Drive is the product that you want to spray and it should knock it out quick, especially if it has not very mature. I have also sprayed MSMA on crabgrass. I have had pretty good result with it. I took about 2 applications for a complete kill and it was very mature. You just have to be careful with MSMA. I have found if you water it in 24 hours after you apply it you are in the clear. If not watered in it could damage you good turf.

Hope this helps