dry well ???

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bobcatnj, Aug 23, 2006.

1. bobcatnj

bobcatnj LawnSite Senior Member

im bidding on a job that needs drainage. the customer is getting an addition on in the back of the house and they have a ground water problem. the contractor doing the addition put in corregated pvc around the foundation (5ft deep) to help with the ground water from around the house that goes to a ditch where the pipe ends. the ditch is about 5 feet deep and is filled with water. i was thinking the attach the extisting pipe with pvc and run it into a dry well in the middle of the back yard then run it out the the round about 95 feet. my question is since the drainage pipe is 5 feet deep then the dry well would be around 5 feet deep also, if i put a pipe from the dry well ( 3 feet deep) will the water drain out to the road? i hope this makes sense!!!!! anyone have any other ideas???

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

The water will go to the lowest point.

THe proper way to do drainage is to get a grade laser, otherwise you'll have to check it all with a level and its very time consuming.

Assuming the perimiter drain is properly draining into the ditch, as long as your line heading to the drywell is lower than that line, it will drain.

3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Check with the town you are working in for adding dry wells...you may not be able to...or that may be your only option.

4. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

The previous post are good information but also keep in mind what kind of soil you are working with. Clay wont perk, all of this will factor in to what size you need.
    Mike

5. bobcatnj

bobcatnj LawnSite Senior Member

i know the water from the around the house will go into the dry well. will it go out the the street? if i put a pipe from the well out to the road ( maybe 3- 2 feet deep)? the well has to be 5-6ft deep. i was going to line it with fabric then put stone then cover with dirt. would this hold the water?

6. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

no since in pipe 5 foot deep around house!

7. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I'd dig the dry well deeper, use 5-6 ft of stone below your inlet. The comment above about soil type was important, if you have heavy clay soil you'd be better off treching to the road and forgetting the dry well, on the other hand if the soil is decent and your well is big enough you don't need to go to the road at all, all of your water will perk away. Be sure to line the well with fabric as soil will infiltrate your stone and ruin your well in short order.

8. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I think rereading your post that you want to bring your water in lower than your outlet is that right? If you have really heavy clay or drop a concrete tank in the ground it might work, I'm not sure, As I said set your well deeper, no need to use any more stone that you originally planned for just put more dirt back on top.

9. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for agreeing with me on the soil. My county recquires dry wells alot for down spouts in new developments. If it is clay your wasting a lot of time and money. Our area has a lot of shale or slate then the dry well will work, otherwise your just filling an in ground swimming pool that is going to bite you in the but.
    Mike