Dry well?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Scottscape, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Scottscape

Scottscape LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I'm posting this in the hardscape oppose to the landscape forum because I know you guys run into drainage problems all the time and are very familiar with dry wells.

Heres the problem. I've got a client that has a drainage problem in her yard and a retention problem directly behind her yard. Well the retention pond is only 2.5-3.0' deep so we can't tap into it because the rention pond doesnt drain as well and floods into her yard sometimes. They own half of the retention pond but the county will not let them do anything with it (i.e. dig it deeper, put swells before the retention pond at her fence line). So I'm thinking that we have no other choice besides a dry well cause this water has no where else to go. The back is what she is mainly concerned about oppose to the front because the trees (she wants to preserve them). We all know that we can't build up where the trees are because we don't want to smother the roots.

The builder who did the grading put a small swell out by the street that isnt working and has this huge mound on the right side of the house (facing the house). The grade of the yard should have been built up before the build of the house but I'm guessing they wanted to preserve these trees.

I've posted pics tell me what you guys think

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

front of house [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ppl

ppl LawnSite Member

How long does the water sit? Oaks and maple can only handle 7 days of standing water before they die. So if your a concerned about topsoil over root why doesn't the water kill them. Plus, you can raise the grade over tree root, depending on the tree studies have shown 3-4' will not harm trees any more may cause a problem. Drains should help in the back we use a product call multiflow, which is set in sand and is very shallow. How much fall do you have in the front?

3. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

Not sure if a drywell will work because from the looks of things it won't be dry for long and it would need to be enormous for the amount of water that is causing the problem.

4. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, reminds me of the "I've got some nice land in Florida" thing. Is there a ditch in the front where the road comes by? Could you channel that water to it? Elevations look super tricky.

5. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

Here both oaks and maples grow in swampy areas so the trees should be fine.g

6. Scottscape

Scottscape LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

there is no ditch out front besides a swell and hell thats only 6" deep. the street is about 3' higher than the foundation of the house. I told you this builder was crazy. Seems like they will build anywhere anymore and pass inspection.

7. Majesticman

Majesticman LawnSite Member

It would have been easier if they would have built the house a couple of feet higher but that is hind sight. Weeping willows will do good there.

8. Shadetree Ltd

Shadetree Ltd LawnSite Senior Member

The largest dry well possible wouldn't solve anything. The surface water is simply the water table, a dry well would fill fast and not offer enough of anything to lower the water table.

9. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

Sheeesh, maybe they just wait for the next drought and list it then, hoping for a quick sell, or get the government to purchase it as a wetlands restoration area!

10. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

He or she has one option that will fix the problem the house must be raised.

How old is the house. Looks pretty new to me don’t know why the town would pass inspection on this house.:waving: