Drywell use in drainage problem

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by turfsolutions, Jan 23, 2004.

1. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

I am designing a scape that needs to solve a standing water on lawn problem. There is no where to take the water so I need to install a drywell or series of connected drywells and possibly a dry creek bed. I am looking for a company that sells the drywell. The local nursery only has components but no drywells. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.
  2. bcx400

bcx400 LawnSite Member
    from PA

3. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Go to your local pipe/drainage supply house, buy a 30" (or bigger) diameter pipe, get about 3 feet of it. Pay about $30/foot or more.:)

Use a sawzall or drill (I've used both) to get holes cut in the side. Drill 3/4 inch holes, then the sawzall to cut slits starting at the holes and going 3-6 inches from the hole.

Should work. I've done it before, though I don't know how the cost compares to the NDS system.

Oh, I just left a gravel column all the way up to grade too, it was in a wooded area, and was a discharge well. The well wasn't seen much, so we could do that.

Check out the NDS system too and compare it to what I just wrote, 'cause I have no idea what the cost comparison is.

4. turfsolutions

I did think of doing something like this. Great minds think alike I guess. Wow, $30 a foot eh. Similiar price to the flo well.

What about hooking up 4 inch pvc to the 30 inch pipe? Is that difficult?

5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Turf Solutions,

If you need some visuals to help in your drywell click the image for link.

Here is a site that sells them.
  6. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Guys, 55 gallon plastic drum(free or cheap), drill many 1/2 holes all in it,Bury and back fill with 3/4 inch stone. Old school kinda but works on certain apps.
  7. D Felix

To hook up a 4 inch pipe? Spend $30 on a hole saw and cut the hole. Or just cut it out with the sawzall. It doesn't have to be a perfect fit, it just needs to be inside, right? You can get it close enough with the sawzall....

I do like the idea of the 55 gallon drum, wonder why I hadn't thought of that myself?:D

8. D Felix

Just looked a little closer at your pic... You do realize that's a sump pump well and not a drywell, right?

9. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy LawnSite Senior Member

The drum idea sounds pertty good. Are you sure you have no place to bring the water too? is there city sewer line you can tap into? Iv done sump pump lines, with frech drains that tie into the leaders and brought them into the main sewer lines in the front yard. I didnt have too much grade to play with so i used 4 inch schedual 40 pvc where I could so if it did have any standing water or backed up especially in the winter that it wouldnt freeze and crack the pipe....lots of clean outs too......

Hope this helps

Ps i do like the drum idea just see the water still sitting during the rainy season. I like as much drainage as possible.

10. turfsolutions

Thanks for sall the replies. Sorry I haven't replied myself but the snow has kept me busy lately and I haven't been online for a few days.

Gopher - nice site - I have to call about pricing of the drywell product they offer.

D felix - sounds easy enough

Jammer - where do I look for a plastic 55 gallon drum??

Pool guy - no where to take the water.

Thanks again everyone for you help.