Dt 466 Mpg

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Marek, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

looking at a new International with a dt 466 does anyone know a ball park of what to expect mpg wise?

2. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

i have a part time job as a tow truck driver and we have 5 internationals sll the dt 466
    1 2003 manual
    1 2005 auto
    1 2005 manual
    1 2006 auto
    loaded the manuals are getting about 9-11mpg it actually has a setting on the tacometer for knowing this and the autos are getting just a tad less thatn that and its more loaded but i havent looked at it for a while but next time i work which is 3-11 on friday ill let you know

3. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

DBL: On a side note, do you need a CDL to drive that size of a tow truck. I have been thinking about doind some part time towing and most companies around here run trucks about that size. I need to know if I should expect to get a CDL (which I might just do anyway). Thanks!

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

If the truck is rated over 29k lbs gvw, or has air brakes, you need a cdl.

Technically, if you got one that didn't have air brakes, and had it derated to 25 k lbs you could drive it without a cdl, but don't get stopped by the DOT over weight or your be real sorry.

5. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Actually it's 26001 lbs and heavier to require a CDL.

6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I would just get a CDL and not worry about it.

7. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

i've got a class A.........they're easy to get, if you fail then well, you prob shouldn't be driving anyway

8. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah I know about the 26,001 and the air brakes, but would some compainies make you have a CDL to drive a truck that say is 20,000 GVW? Is that legal to make someone get a CDL if it is underwieght? I will probably get one anyway as soon as I get a second.

9. DBL

no you dont need a cdl or not ive been doing this for about 1.5 years and all i needed to get was a medical card and airbrakes endorcement

10. DBL

but back to the mpg all weekend ive been driving the new 06 auto and loaded i was only getting about 5 or 6 mpg i dont know if the meter is right or not but thats what i was getting