1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

DTN (FarmData) weather service

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by greenngrow, Oct 27, 2002.

1. greenngrow

greenngrow LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone use DTN Farmdata weather service in thier business??

I use one at my other job (Retail Farm Store Manager).

It is a great tool and have seen then out in the trade shows.

Just wondered what the fee is for Turf. I know what it is for AG side. It is about $600 for one year service. If I know these guys it is propably double for turf.
  2. $90 a month.
  3. greenngrow

Hey Godfather,

What all do you get for $90????
  4. All kinds of cool, neat stuff I haven't had time to play with yet.

Main concern;

The radar page, it is pretty good for if you have a crew in an aera and you can determain (via DTN's help) how long the weather (rain-snow-sleet-etc) will stay in the aera.

It has some forcasting.

Lots of other stuff too.

I do not have this service, but it is at friends places, and a supply center I frequent.

For the price they have paid for it over what I can get for free on the internet, I have decided that the info I get from them over the Nextel radios, and off the WWW, it is sufficent enough for me.

Other than the up to the second doplar radar, I didn't see other uses in it for the $90 (they advertize "as little as $3 a day")a month.
  5. greenngrow

I was curious about what the DTN for turf has vs Ag. In the Ag side they have Futures markets and cash market for livestock and

The Ag Stats are there as well. Wonder if the Turf format has MSDS and Pesticide labeling info.

I think you can get DTN service over the WEB...