DTN Weather

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JLC, Jun 3, 2001.

1. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

Do any of you guys have a DTN weather system? It looks like it might be kind of nice if it is any better than the weather info I can access on the internet. It would be nice if it is accurate to know when to send out my application truck and what mowing jobs to schedule in depending on when it is supposed to rain etc. I would also think I would know exactly when the snow will stop so I know when to anticipate the start of plowing.
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I think some of the members on www.Plowsite.com have this. This has been brought up there, I know. I think the WC is fairly accurate, as bad as any I should say. :)
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know, for the money, it's hard to beat weather.com. It has the forecast, extended forecast, detailed forecast (what it's going to do at different times of the day - including borometer and wind speeds) and best of all, a 600 mile range Doppler radar that you can set into motion - complete with precipitation rates. I think this is al the same source that DTN uses.
  4. Columbia Turf

Columbia Turf LawnSite Member

I have had sales people from DTN call all the time. With the internet, it is hard to beat (for the price) some of the free weather info that can be had. Accuweather has up to the minute raders that seem pretty "accurate" just one mans opinion.
  5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Right now I am trying out www.my-cast.com and they do a decent job. It's a free service. The biggest thing I like about them is if they aren't sure about what the weather is going to do they tell you by putting a question mark over the forecast icon.
  6. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Try www.intellicast.com I like it for the local radar and the national radar too, the local forcast is not too bad. For local forecasts, www.weatherunderground.com
    it is the best i have found for that, comes from the national weather service. Both of these sites load faster on a slow modem than weather.com. Just my 2 cents.
  7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

The one I use mostly is www.weatherbug.com as it will give you constant weather radar, temps, wind direction and speed, humidity, the works. When it is minimized, it still shows the temperature in your sys tray.
  8. turfguy

turfguy LawnSite Member

dtn is great I have it here at our office, however it gets a little pricey when you compare it to many of the online services. I think the other services are also very accurate.
  9. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

That my-cast is pretty cool...they even tell you what your chances are for mowing on a given day. :blob3: