DU bearings for Walker Mowers

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ericg, Oct 16, 2007.

1. ericg

ericg LawnSite Silver Member

Does anyone know where to get replacement DU bearings, Walker part number 7201-3, for the idler pulley pivots on top of the jackshaft on a Walker mower. The dealer wants $12.00 each and you need four to replace all of the bearings. They are 19mm od and 17mm id. The dealer said that the older style bushings were cheaper as the new style has teflon inside the bearing. I cannot seem to find anyone on the web who can supply them. I hate to spend top dollar for something that someone else makes for Walker and the dealer just marks up.

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

I typed in "nylon bushings" on Google and a ton of stuff came up. Or if you have a large town close by look in the yellow pages under bearings. Then take you part to them. I have a nice bearing company close to me. IBT Bearing company. Just slap it on the counter and they give me a new one. There are also belting companies that when all else fails they will have it. -Belts I mean...

3. ericg

Thanks Khouse. I have a General Bearing Company near by. I will try them tomorrow.

4. khouse

Good deal! Let us know if you get something that works.

5. ericg

Khouse, no good. I went to General Bearing and they have 16mm and 18mm id bearings but no listing for a 17mm id bearing. Someone has to make these for Walker as they are not set up to manufacure them. It would not be bad except for the fact that there are six machines involved here so it adds up to be a great deal of money.

6. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

Here's a thought-
    19MM is .748". MIGHTLY close to 3/4"!
    Drill out with a 17MM drill?

7. ericg

Bill, your suggestion is a good one but the DU bearing is a bronze based unit with a teflon or ptfe coating. If I drill it out, I may compromise the bearing. I guess the word bearing is really not the right term although that is the Walker designation. It is really an oilless bushing so there is not much wall thickness. This is a common wear point on the Walkers and I have called the factory inquiring why they don't go to a needle bearing and the bottom line is cost.

8. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Just a thought , but have you tried Fedral Mogul, link is below

http://www.federalmogul.com/en/ProductSelector

Back in the day, when I worked on Lockes, they went from a brass bushing to a nylon bushing on the reel pivot arm retainer, needless to say, the nylon would crush and be useless. Some one came up with the idea of taking aluminum tubing and cutting it to the right width. It fit over the stud and in the retainer arm, we just added a large washer to the bolt to keep it in place.

ericg likes this.
  9. khouse

I made a couple of inqurires on that size to a couple of companies. You can look too. Google "metric bronze bushings" There are a lot of hits.

10. ericg

Thanks Breezmister and Khouse. I will follow up tomorrow and let you know how I make out.