dual axle trailer eating rear tires!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shady Brook, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

For you guys with dual axle trailers, do you find that you eat up the rear set at a torid pace? I mean like 2 sets a year? Can last a year with rotating, but still you end up buying two sets. Is it a design flaw in my trailer, or is it common to all trailers of this type?

Thanks
    Jay

2. Either you have a bent axel or you make tight turns too much.

very common, that's why you should rotate them.

3. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Thanks LG

It does get alot of miles, and much in tight residencial areas. I have a friend with a trailer built by the same guy, and his eat tires also, and always have. I just wanted to know if he was building them with a flaw, or if it were normal. I do have a bit of a taper from front to back on my trailer putting a bit more weight on the rear. Maybe this compounds the problem.

Jay

4. Shadetree Ltd

Shadetree Ltd LawnSite Senior Member

The extra weight in the back won't help the cause but we switched to 10 ply load E tires that get a ton more mileage than the standard "trailer tire".

Scott

5. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Mine chews threw the rears in one year. I do ALOT of U-turns everyday and alot of culdasacs & Backing into driveways your just gonna have to live with it.

6. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

Just keep them rotated on a regular basis because the rear tires on a tandem axle are the ones that slide across the ground when you turn, especially if you make real tight turns.

7. svlandscape

svlandscape LawnSite Member

I believe the reason the rear tires wear out faster than the front is that when you make a turn, the rear tires actually slide across the pavement, so they will wear out much faster than the front ones. Have someoe drive your truck and trailer by you slowly and make a turn and you will actually hear them dragging! About the only thing you can do is rotate them on a regular basis to keep the wear even.

8. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Do you haul enough weight on the trailer that you actually need a tandem axle trailer or do you just have it because everyone else has it?
    I am getting ready to build a new trailer and I am thinking I might not bother with the tandem I might just make it a long single. The only thing on it will be a Walker, my MTD Pro Z, a couple of attachments and small equipment that really won't add up to a lot of weight. When I only have one piece on the trailer I can center it on the long trailer.

9. Husker1982

Husker1982 LawnSite Senior Member

You should stay with a dual axle trailer because a single axle really gives the equipment a beating. Also another thing you might want to watch is the level of your trailer. Is your drop on your truck not enough you might want to get a bigger drop.

10. kppurn

kppurn LawnSite Senior Member

Makes sense now......I could never figure that out. I thought it could be tire pressure when I first noticed it. I would check the pressure daily and it wasn't that.....Now I know.

How often do you guys rotate the tires on your tandems?