Dual battery setup--NEED HELP

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by theyatesies, Jun 17, 2013.

1. theyatesies

theyatesies LawnSite Member

I have a 2003 Isuzu(diesel) Trugreen truck I bought and I am fixing it back up to use as my spray truck. Here's the question. The truck came with just a 24v battery instead of two 12v which is what it is setup for. I replaced the 24v with two 12v like it is suppose to be and they are hooked up parallel(pos to pos and neg to neg). I am still getting 24v back at the reel motor. The reel motor is a 12v as it should be. My solenoids(2) are also 12v each. I need help on how to only have 12v at the motor when its in use so I dont burn it up. Am I hooking it up right or should I hook up the batteries in series? If so how do I do that? HELP!

2. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

First I haven't seen 24v in trucks for years, second if you hooked them up in parallel then you only have 12v, just alot more amps.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. taxidermist

taxidermist LawnSite Member

4. theyatesies

Well ALL Diesel trucks run on a two battery setup. Two 12v batteries. I have a powerstroke and I have two 12v. Now when I bought this Isuzu truck it had a 24v in the place of the two 12v that should of been there. I wanna know why I'm still getting 24v back at the reel motor since I put the two 12v back like it should be.

5. Bashby

Bashby LawnSite Senior Member

To get 24v you hook the batteries in series, First battery - goes to chassis ground, + goes to - on bat2. The only way I can figure you are getting 24v with them in parallell is if the truck is running and you are getting 24v from the alternator.

6. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

My 2003 has them pos to pos also. What is the voltage leaving the battery pack? I don't think it's possible to have 24v with 2 12v batteries in parallel.

7. Whippit96

Whippit96 LawnSite Member

It sounds like there is a combiner or step up transformer somewhere in line, find that and remove it.

8. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Also,

You may have a 24 volt hose reel. There may be a reason you're seeing 24 volts with a transformer
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. theyatesies

I'm gonna go check and let you guys know.

10. theyatesies

It's a 12v motor.