Dual drive belts on a Toro WB

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LAWNS AND MOWER, Mar 4, 2002.

1. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Toro WB owners might want to take note. I have a Toro 44in Proline belt driven WB. You can run dual belts instead of one of the pricey traction belts. It seems to pull better and plus the belts wouldn't slip nearly as much when they get wet. Also, you can still run your mower should one of the belts break. Belts cost about $8 a piece. Belt sizes are Dayco 17500 or Gates 9500. I'll try to take some pics this week and post them. Hope this helps.

LAWNS AND MOWER

2. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I am confused...(bid suprise)...Are you talking about the two Side mounted drive belts (thick ones)? I can't imaagine that you are because you said $8 ea. I haven't bought any in a while but I thought they were alot more than that.

Pics would be great.

thanks

3. LAWNS AND MOWER

Guardian,

I'm referring to the wide drive belts on each side. And yes they are expensive. About $40 each from a parts store in my town and about $25 each from a parts catalog. You would need two of the smaller belts that I mentioned on each side, so you'll be spending $32 total on belts. As promised, I'll try to get pics posted soon.

LAWNS AND MOWER

4. Yes you can do this, I have when I wore out the belts.

They do not last as long as the dual v-belt.

That's all the dual v-belt is in a way.

5. LAWNS AND MOWER

Sorry it took so long to post this pic. Hope it helps!!!!!

026_23a with belts.jpg

6. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

I just replaced my V belts 6 months ago. I also replaced the pulley wheels that power them. Twice, now, I have split those new belts down the middle. Then they fall apart. I am ready for new belts now and I am going to try it. Thanks for the info.

7. Nelson

Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

LAWNS AND MOWER,

My Toro is pretty New...But thanks for this Info. I like
    the fact that they will not slip as bad when they get wet.

Will these belts last as long as the wider belts?:confused:

8. LAWNS AND MOWER

Nelson-- These belts will (should) actually last longer than the standard wide belts!!! Good Luck.

LAWNS AND MOWER

9. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Seems like it would do better because they won't hold debris like the wide belts...

Maybe wider is not better. :eek: