Dual hydro tranny swap into single hydro Ferris 36" walk behind?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Rantipole1, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Rantipole1

Rantipole1 LawnSite Member

I was wondering if anyone had any input on the idea of swapping a dual hydro tranny into an originally single hydro Ferris 36" HydroWalk, is this possible, or even feasible? Seems like it would be a great upgrade for the old Ferris and a lot easier on me by the end of the mowing day. Perhaps I could get a new dual hydro setup from the local dealer, I doubt I'll be able to find a donor dual hydro that isn't being put to work.....anyone know how much a new tranny would run, or how much I should give for a used one?

Thanks.

2. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the same mower you are talking about and I try to use it as little as possible because it is a pain compared to the dual drive mowers. Over the years I have gotten rid of all accounts that would require this mower. I only have to use it once a week now. Anyway, I think the time and effort put into converting it to a dual drive are not worth it. The cost of 2 pumps and 2 drive motors would probably make your head spin. If you absolutly need a 36" mower then I would look at different brands that offer a dual drive 36". If you could use a bigger mower then I would seriously look into the ferris dual drives(48",52",61"). I have 2 of them and they are way more effecient than the 36 and do a great job.