Dual hydros

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by freddyc, Jan 15, 2006.

1. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

I was looking at the new Exmark Phazer mowers and trying to get an ideea about the drive.

I looked at the simplicity mowers at a dealer last week and he showed me that some of their z's have a standard dual hydro drive, but some of the new stuff is coming out with a single hydro transmission. The deal is to cut costs.

I believe the exmark phazer has the same single drive system (or similar)

Any thoughts, feedback on the difference??

Thanks

2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

If I am not mistaken a single hydro cannot be a true zero turn and would operate much like a belt drive...

3. nitrotim

nitrotim LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Actually Marc a belt drive would let you do more of a z turn then a single hydro because you can use the brake on the belt to turn. That is why I sold my Ferris 32" hydrocut/ that and also I have some properties with slopes that my sentar sport won't fit on and the sngle hydro was a bear to muscle on.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

This is exactly correct the single hydro are hard to muscle on slopes, even gently ones. They show you how nice the unit works on turing on flat pavement but different story in the field. I think belt drive is better than single hydro.

5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I forget how it works, but the single hydro (if it is on the phaser) is different than the quick 36 or ferris hydrocut. It is like a single resevoir, but has 2 wheel motors. The mower works like any z turn rider. It is a cheaper way to go, so im surprized they did that, but gravley has it on their home owner riders, the airens.

6. nitrotim

nitrotim LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Probably almost like a limited differential.