Dual programming with RB 12LX

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, Oct 9, 2005.

1. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

We were blowing out a system today and Rb 12 LX controller was wired like this:

#9 and 11 were joined with zone 1. #10 and 12 were joined with zone 4. All the zones were straightforward and it is an 8 zone system. I had a new homeowner and I have never seen programming like this and I cannot understand why the controller was wired like this. I disconnected the extra tie wires and everything worked flawlessly.

Any ideas as to this arrangement. My thought is that any zone can be moved to a different program as desired with different schedules accordingly so I cannot understand why they would be joined together.

Jumper wires between the inactive zones (9-12) and the active zones (1-8).

Thanks,

John :waving:

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Everynow and then I'll jump two drip zones together to better match the GPM output of a water source.

You say the zones that were jumpered were non-existant?

3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Someone's idea of multiple starts on the same program initial start-up? ;)

4. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

On pump systems, it used to be common to wire empty zones back to working zones with the idea that if the empty zone came on by whatever bizzare accident, a zone valve would also be opened, not just the master valve. The old WM and RB clocks actually recomended this. I've seen this done on systems with and without mastervalves by those who were taught to do this with no knowledge of why........ Splitting the four empties into two zones instead of just the last zone is just a variation. Then again, for some reason they may have wanted mulitple runs on 1 and 4........Sometimes you just have to scratch your head and go on.

5. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

I have it now! Thanks bicmud. It is a pump system-my mistake not adding that to the original question.

By tying them together, if someone, me included , accidentally started the wrong zone, one valve would at least be open when the pump kicked in.

Thank you very much for the info. It makes sense now.

John :blob3: :blob3:

6. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Nice work Bic. Even an old dog like me learned something. :)