Dual Slope laser suggestions

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by ARP, Jul 8, 2008.

1. ARP

ARP LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi All,

I'm in the market for a dual slope laser and have come across a few choices: Topcon RL- 1002S
    Topcon RL-H2SA
    ProShot AS2/ Magnum
    Leica Rugby 400DG
    CST Berger LMH600

I was wondering what peoples' opinions/actual observations are on the above models and if there is another brand/model I should be looking at?

My major purchase criteria are:
    Self- leveling
    1000' + range
    Good slope % operating range
    Accuracy
    Ease of use
    Durability
    Compatibilty with machine control systems
    Best "bang for the buck"

As much as I would like to have a Topcon unit, my bank account really likes the looks of the ProShot AS2 Magnum alot better.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Andrew

2. ianh

ianh LawnSite Member

One thing to be careful of; these systems all hate moisture! If you'll be working anywhere that can be damp, or even humid, be sure to get a unit that's nitrogen charged... and never put it away with any moisture on it... it will sweat in the plastic box and eventually fail :cry:

Ps I have a Topcon and it's a good unit... bit pricey but well built.

3. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I have the Topcon unit. I like it. janh is not kinding about moisture. If you put the unit in the box with moisure on it and close the box it gets to go back to the factory..

I have not run any other laser besides Topcon. I have a single slope and the dual slope transmitter. I have always had good luck with so I never tried anything else.

4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I like Topcon's ease of programming, they are fairly easy to setup for dual slope transmission. I've used Trimble's Spectre Precision recievers and lasers, like them too, but I think Topcon has Trimble beat with the higher end lasers. The Spectre I've used is single slope and it's a PITA to setup, no LCD display makes it a real nightmare. Topcon is wham bam, set your slope percentages and go.

5. ARP

ARP LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the advice. From my experience and other's observations it sounds like the Topcon units are the ones to get.