Dual water supply question?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, Mar 25, 2006.

1. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

We have a customer that is going to have two water supplies. A rural water system for the area close to their rural home with good quality water. A well with high iron for the area away from their residence.

Another installer told them they must have two controllers. I told them one is enough. I propose to connect the well zones to a 24v relay off the controller using only the specific zones we designate to activate the relay.

This is our first with dual water supplies and we don't see any flaws with the above scenario.

Thanks all you sharpshooters! :weightlifter: :weightlifter:

John :usflag: :usflag:

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Just use a master valve and a backflow prevented between the two.

3. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

You should not connect the two water supplies. In other words, you will have two main lines each with their own valves. They can be controlled by the same controller however. There are controllers that allow you to activate the pump for individual stations so this shouldn't be a problem.

Most codes do not allow you to connect differing water supplies. This is a cross connection. Best to run a main for the house zones and a seperate main for the lawn zones. You won't use any more pipe, they just won't be connected.

4. Dirty Water

Jerry,

We have lots of clients here cross connected between a seasional ditch feed and Utility water. Code allows for it with proper backflow installation.

5. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Hopefully it's with an RPZ and not a DCA or PVB.

6. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

We will keep the two sources separate. Plan on two separate systems controlled by one controller.

Which controller(s) allow you to operate the pump only for specific zones?

Thanks for the info, folks.

John:rolleyes:

7. JeffY

JeffY LawnSite Senior Member

Hunter Pro C allows you to set which zones get the master pump and which don't.

8. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Like others have suggested I'd keep the water sources separate and use a controller (like Jeffy suggested) that will allow you to program which zones will activate the pump.

In regrads to Jon's suggestion, we do have some of our systems cross-connected with RPs between them. These are some of the high use, high visibility sports areas that can't afford to be down for very long in summer heat. In the event the pump goes down then the watering can be switched to domestic service until such time that the pump is up and running again.

9. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

How do you do that?

I never knew you could do that with the pro c... I'll go read the manual if it's not an easy explanation

10. Dirty Water

You can do that with the Rainbird ESP also.