Dual wheels on a walk behind?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ealbertson, Feb 2, 2003.

1. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

I am trying to come up with a way to do away with the rut that the lower tire creates on softer hills. I was thinking about a dual wheel setup. I have an eXmark 2002 48" Turf Tracer HP walk behind that I am thinking about doing it on. Does anybody know where I can get the adapters? Or does anybody have any other ways to help this problem? I am happy with the eXmark. The problem is terrain instead of mower. I could use a small walk behind or weed eater, but I want to get home before midnight....

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed

2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Would wider tires tear up the turf when you turn?

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Someone posted info. about, and/or a picture of dual wheels on a walkbehind on this site a long time ago. I can not remember what thread it was related to.
    Gravely has had dual wheel setups for their walkbehind tractors for 50 years. I am sure duals on a WB would give good results on hillsides and would spread the weight to lessen tire ruts. It worked good on my old Gravely.
    Turning is one area where they would probably cause a problem. That is a lot of rubber in one spot to do a zero turn with. :)

4. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Pete/Switchless has done lome experimenting with larger ,wider and ,softer tires on his HUstler walkbehinds. Hustler is even implementing some of his ideas.

Maybe pete will chime in here, or go to the Hustler forum and look back through the threads a ways.

A wider single tire might be easier and better than duals

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Here I was thinking I was crazy. I thought those ties on Pete's Hustler looked bigger than stock. But I wasn't sure. I have often wondered why MFG's weren't more generous with tire size since commercial mowers are so heavy. Larger tires would provide much better floatation. I just figured there was a limit where traction began to be compromised with more floatation.

This brings me to another question, why such small tires on belt drives?

As for the rut thing, I have another idea. I'll go search for for some pics to explain first though. I'll Be Back!

6. Envy Lawn Service

Here ya go! This could be an idea. Maybe it's the square edge that's doing harm. What about these tires from Maxxis?

M9229 Turf

Round shoulder designed to reduce turf damage.

round maxxis.jpg

7. Envy Lawn Service

Remembering the tires on the Gravely's new Pro-Steer I demoed is where the idea came from. They use a similar rounded tire. Decent size tires on a belt drive??? Anyways, here is a blury pic of them on it. They don't look as rounded in the pic as they really are.

wg ps1548 $2.999.jpg

8. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the input.

9. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Dual tires have been around for years, but because there is a limited market for them they aren't that common. I know Bunton used to have them, but this is going back 20+ years.

Try some agricultural suppliers. I looked quickly through the latest Gempler's (gemplers.com) catalogue, but didn't see dual-rim set ups.

You might be able to fashion your own dual rims, using long bolts and some sort of spacer. For the amount of effort involved, I don't know if it would be worth it.

I would try the larger tire route first. Manufacturers, I would assume, choose the tire size for their machines based on what they figure is the average type of terrain their machines will be used on.

10. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Ealbertson it is great to see a few Gravely fan of old. For the really steep hills I still drag out the Gravely Commercial 12 with 50" deck and dual wheels. That thing is incredible on slopes. Best of luck solving your hill problem.

Gravely_Man