Duck tape holding the Loadhandler?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Smithers, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

You know the mat that they advertise can be placed in a truck bed, bolted to a tailgate and you can unload almost anything in 2 min?

Well, i purchased my loadhandler from nortern tools about 3 weeks ago, just for the leaf season.

I did 2 lawns, shredded the leaves very good, packed it in there and left it for 2 days.

Went to the dump, tried to crank it up and it would not move. I said, ok, maybe it's too heavy.....

Unloaded most of the stuff with a shovel, then it started pulling. It worked pretty good. but i was not happy that i had to unload about 60% of it with a shovel.

The next day i wanted to place it in the bed and i noticed the mat was too loose where it attaches on the steel bar. When i looked, the entire mat had separated from the attachment points.

When i looked closer, the 3 attachment points were actually 3 pieces of 3" duct tape. When you wind it, the duct tape actually is holding the mat around the steel pipe and it allows the mat to roll around the tube .....

needless to say, i either have to put more duct tape or think of another way to attach it.

Any ideas? i will snap a few pics tomorrow.

2. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

the ones I use have duct tape on them too, but its never an issues because I never unwrap it that much. I have had 1500-1800lbs on it and it has come out.

3. Smithers

it's not that i unwrapped it all the way to the end.....i never saw the duct tape until i started winding it and it was spinning freely around the tube. when i pulled it out, i saw the duct tape torn.

4. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

The duct tape only hold the canvas to the bar. loadhandler recommends having I think 3 full revolutions of the canvas around the bar. Well guess what, If you take the duct tape off it still works. Its friction that holds and pulls the canvas, not the tape. The tape is to hold it down in case you unwind it all the way. I used it in the past and never had a problem with the way it is secured. As for the stuck load- thats your fault. You cann't leave it in for 2 day and let it settle. Try not putting a lot of material right in front of the wheel wells, that is why it gets stuck. When I used a loadhandler I carried a pitch fork with me to dump it cuz all the grass never came completely out. Just suck it up for now until you can buy a dump insert. Thats what I did. For under 3 grand you can get an insert installed with a head board and a roll up tarp.

5. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

first of all you shouldnt leave the leaves or grass in that long, especially if it gets wet. The biggest thing i have found about unloading is to cleanout around the wheelwells first, then most of it comes out. I dont use mine for leaves, i have a dump truck, but i do use mine for unloading grass in the summer. Maybe not the best way to unload grass, but beats unloading it all by hand.

6. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Yea, they are attached with duct tape. I had to redo mine once because i didnt roll it up, just left it on the bed of the truck, and it unrolled on the way home from the dump (would NOT have happend at normal speed though...:hammerhead: ). Got home and had no loadhandler tarp, so i went and found it in a ditch between here and the dump.

The reason yours did not unload was your load was probably "locked". To fix this, you have to clean out the area in front of the wheelwells, then that will allow the rest of i to come out. Have had that problem myself.

I am thinking that the perfect setup for a "poor mans dumptruck" is a flatbed truck, with sides, and a custom made loadhandler that is as wide as the bed bolted on the back. $100 for the loadhandler sure beats $4000 for a dump...

7. Cutter1

Re tape it on a clean surface, you shouldn't have an issue with the tape again, the load, I would recommend starting to load it from the tailgate forward, have as much towards the tailgate as possible and when you unwrap the tarp leave a little extra up in the front of your bed by the window, seems to do the trick

8. Smithers

it aways had at least 3-5 revolutions around the bar.....always.

Also, i could not get it to start winding without duct tape. the friction did not keep it from spinning freely around the shiny/slick tube.

will adding a huge strip of duct tape on the entire length of the bar will work?

9. Cutter1

couldn't hurt taping the whole length

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The "poor man's dumptruck" is what I have. We made our own for a 1 ton flatbed, and it works well. The handle is removable (just slides into the hole in the center), and does not go all the way around. I welded steel "pegs" sticking out the end, and it works like a ratcheting action by sliding the handle in and out (of the center) a little bit and resetting it. It works well. I always thought about putting some round dowels in the bed cross-wise extra heavy loads, but I've never needed them.