1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Duct tape in lawn care industry?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by robert payer, May 31, 2002.

1. robert payer

robert payer LawnSite Senior Member

Thought to share a tip on why I always carry duct tape in lawn maintenance truck.

Patches split or torn bags of fertilzer till ready for use.

Reseals partial used fertilizer bags that will not be used for some time. Pesticides also.

Reseal peat moss bales.

Secure trimmer line from coming undone on preloaded trimmer head spool until it is needed for on the job quick change. Just a little thin piece of duct tape for securing the two ends of line together to prevent accidental unwrathering.

Some people use duct tape to secure blower extention tubes that blow off all the time.

What other lawn maintenance uses for duct tape?
  2. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

200mph tape has so many uses I dont think we could possibly list them all.
  3. NewbieOwner

NewbieOwner LawnSite Member
    from Alberta

Hmmmm Duck tape + 1/2" tree branch = fixed handles on mowers...

A good wrap of the duck tape will temporarily fix a blown coolant hose on a truck...

the 6" long piece on the handle is good for latching the safety down, after you find a wasp/yellow jacket/hornets nest in the ground, and decide to leave the mower running over the nest for a few minutes. At least then you're not facing a swarm when you want to finish the yard.

Twisted it to use as string to 'tie' a throttle open (after throttle cable broke)

Patched an innertube with it once (kept air in the tire well enough to get through the day with a few gas station stops)

Fixed that nasty hole in the trucks seat (no more spring in the a$$)

Taped up cracked/broken windows until the glass could be repaired.

Fixed more than one pair of boots with it :D

After a day of straight trimming (hacking down some NASTY brush with too much hidden stuff to risk taking a mower in there) A duck tape 'glove' was formed across a helpers blistering hands... Allowing him to finish the day.

I've used duck tape AND Superglue to close bad cuts (Superglue was originally made as a liquid bandaid back in the korean/vietnam wars era) Both work good on BAD wounds, ones that will require stitching (But you have to get to the hospital without bleeding to death first)

4. Only Dow superglue, the others burn like hell.

Ex-Pro Bowler tip.

I use electrical tape instead of duct tape.
  5. All sorts of emergency repairs
    Keeps the doors on the truck
    If you loose the bolt for your blades just wrap er up real good.
    Yep, I carry a roll, but I think I'd be too embarrassed to tell the stories, I hope nobody saw me. :blush:
  6. NewbieOwner

NewbieOwner LawnSite Member
    from Alberta

Yeah... Burns/stings... But can't beat the quick skinfix :)

7. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

If you can't duck it ....fluck it.
  8. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

My entire upper tube on the TRAC-VAC is duct tape now. The original was too flimsy and I was constantly being bombarded with c-r-a-p flying out of the holes. Wrapped it from top to bottom with black tape and keep a spare roll with me for any other emergencies.

Never used it as a glove though!

Why is the word c-r-a-p being sensored?:confused: Better than saying ****!
  9. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

It's an image thing. Sort of like vinly siding on a mobile home!

Seriously, black duck tape is not noticeable from over a few feet away.
  10. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Duct tape is the greatest building and repair material on the face
    of the earth. Just watch the Red Green show.
    Very handy for buggered truck seats,hand grips,ect.

Try www.ducttapeguys.com