1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dude!! Can it get any hotter?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sweet Tater, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

101 today in north east Mississippi. This is crazy heat.
    Does anyone stop mowing at a high temp like that?
  2. Green' Go

Green' Go LawnSite Member

100 here in N.E. Texas and I have been painting a 2 story house and installing seamless gutters. We quit around 3:00 this afternoon. It just got too stinkin hot to even think much less work off the top of a 24 foot extention ladder.
  3. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Suppose to be 105 here tommorrow.Probably around 100 today and very humid. I keep on mowing and drink lots of water. That is when I have stuff to mow. We had 3 inches of rain a couple of weeks ago and that kept me busy last week. Nothing since then and I am sure these high temps will burn the lawns up again. They were just starting to recover from the last burn:cry:
  4. JFF

JFF LawnSite Member

The heat comes with the territory. But that doesn't mean I like it.

The drought on the other hand is kicking my azz. If it were not for some extra landscaping projects I have going, I would be in a panic.

Stay cool out there. Lots of liquids. Keep an eye on each other.

I feel like maybe the vitamin water is helping me tolerate it a bit.
  5. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, today was bad. It hit 100 here too. To top it off, my employee didn't show this morning. Guess he quit (or he is terminated). So, high temp no help....Yeah, it was really nice. I did stop about 3 pm myself.
  6. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Try hanging a small wet towel around your neck. I've even draped it over my head if no one was around.. oh that felt good!:laugh:
  7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

That is cool compared to last Summer, there were weeks of 100+ temp with a drought to go along with it. This year is much better plus were getting a little rain every now and then. I won't last forever. I'm just glad we are getting just enough rain to keep the grass green this year. What do you expect for the South East in Summer?

Those dudes in Texas and Oklahoma are the ones that have the real heat waves (every year).
  8. Dave_005

Dave_005 LawnSite Senior Member

like most i Don;t like the Heat and Humidity any more then the next guy, BUT thats comes with the job. ALOT of residential customers hire someone to mow thier yards because they dont want to have to be out there doing it in the High Heat themselves, either they are unable to do it, or dont have time or simply dont want to be doing the labor in the Heat. Any LCO who wants to stay in buisness should be out there getting the job done regardless of the temp or the customer may find someone else who will. just have ALOT of cold water with you.
  9. ezgoer1969

ezgoer1969 LawnSite Member

It was mid 80's here today. Almost fainted..
  10. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

I mow in whatever temp it is outside. That's Florida...