Dumb backpack blower question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bigtodd, Apr 27, 2003.

1. Bigtodd

Bigtodd LawnSite Member

OK, I have a question, and I feel like a complete idiot asking it, but as a relative newcomer to this whole lawn care game, I need some perspective.

What is the industry standard as far as blowing grass clippings and/or debris from a property?

For instance, I did some trimming with my gas trimmer around some rocks that lined a driveway. As you can imagine, the debris was covering the drive when I was done.

Do I:
    A - blow the clippings back into the grass areas and scatter it enough so that it is not noticeable... or
    B - blow it out into the road and assume that the passing cars will disperse it?

I did the latter out of frustration because I had spent more time at the property (for the first time) than I had wanted to.

Further, I was out running some errands this afternoon and went by a house several times and I saw the homeowner blowing the clippings from his lawn first into the street, then gathering it all in a central location and then bagging it all. I would be happy to perform this kind of service, but the customer in this case, would have to pay more than he is.

2. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Put them back in the yard. If you put them in the street, they are going to get back to the curb sooner or later and that looks crummy. The only time i would put them into the street would be if the property was on a busy road and i was at risk going into the street to blow them into the property.
  3. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

If you have alot of clippings after you trim..you can blow back onto the lawn area and make a final pass with your mower. This will chop and disperse the trimmings back into the lawn.
    I always do this at the seasons first mowing service and/or clean ups. Some guys always trim first and then mow for this reason but I think you have less time in trimming if you mow first...........good luck.

I never, never, never blow or leave clippings on a hard surface.
    It just looks bad.
  4. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

If you're in town, the clippings will get into the storm drains if blown onto the street. Of course, that's nothing compared to beer cans and other stuff. The only concern I would have is if the propery had been treated with herbicides or pesticides.
  5. Frosty_03

Frosty_03 LawnSite Senior Member

I blow all trimmins back into the yard cause it just looks better and remember it is like giving the yard extra nitrogen it is a win win situation for all concern and then you wouldn't have to worry about the pesticides and herbicides going down the drain and eventually in our dirinking water. This is a good question. I see alot of clippings on the street. My customers always like it the way the curb appreance look after I leave. I also us a weedeater blower to suck up the heavy stuff, but if you blow everything back into the yard and give it a good passover with your mower you cant tell that you had clippings there. Good Luck and GOD SPEED :cool: IT IS ALL ABOUT EYE APPEAL!!!!
  6. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I just do all the hedge trimming first, rake out what I can then blow the rest into the yard, then mow to chop clippings up. I do not blow clippings of any kind into the street or onto hard surfaces and leave them there. I think this is what you were asking.
  7. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Back into the yard, Never Never leave them in the rock blow them on the road.
  8. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with the others, NEVER blow the debris into the street.
  9. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

Grass only belongs where grass grows. do what it takes to get all of it back onto the lawn. I do agree with whoever mentioned really busy streets. not worth the hassle and risk. idle down when blowing out flower beds and lightly mulched areas. picking up mulch and wood chips off the lawn can be annoying, teidious and time consuming. just my 2 cents