1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dumb Customer Ruined His Yard

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by One of Three, Jun 27, 2006.

1. One of Three

One of Three LawnSite Member

So I've got a really good customer of mine that we do regular lawn care for that decided that he would fertilize his St. Augustine himself...not sure why exactly. Anyways, he ended up putting the wrong fertilizer down and did this (see attached pictures) to his yard.:hammerhead: He's a really good customer, so I'd love to help him out, but I don't know how to approach repairing something like this. Any ideas or suggestions? Help please!

2. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

have a soil test done to see what you need to do to the soil, as it is probably toxic for the grass. then you are going to have to remove the dead grass and over seed, preferably using the slice seed method.
  3. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I'm betting he applied a "weed & feed" which contains 2-4,D.A big NO-NO on St.Augustine.It's dead.He needs to water heavily to try and keep die off to a minimum.If he wants a quick fix,you'll need to resod those sections.If he's willing to wait,a sand/black cow mix will help the St.Augustine run over the dead areas.Just mix and spread over the dead patches.
    Tell him to be sure he reads the label next time.
  4. One of Three

Thanks guys...that's a start. We'll see what happens.
  5. Picky1

Picky1 LawnSite Member

Definitely needs to be saturated with water. Good luck to him.
  6. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Sure it wasn't a disease or insect? A healthy shot of quick release nitrogen can stir up diseases quickly.
  7. One of Three

I'm quite positive it wasn't a disease or insect. We came out that next week and it looked like that. We asked him about it and he said he put some fertilizer on it, and it was the wrong kind. Hopefully saturating it with water will help.