Dumb free or a debt owed.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 6'7 330, Feb 13, 2006.

1. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess it is not proper business wise, but we do complete lawn maintenance for two families with deployed soldiers in the Middle East, free of charge.

And a few that don’t really count,we would be doing them regardless. We also do my sister’s who is now in Scotland, she lost her son in Iraq. And we do my three brothers who were all Vietnam vets, and a person who was my dad’s best friend before he passed away, a WW2 vet. Maybe I’m dumb, or maybe it is a way of making one’s self feel better, but I feel I am not really giving them something free, but paying back but a small part of a big debt owed to all men and women like them.

2. sikagrass

sikagrass LawnSite Member

I for one think thats a really good thing to do. I had an old guy who was a warrior from WW2, I wanted 45, he offered me 25, but once I heard his story I promised myself I would do it till he died for that price.Hes gone now but I never regreeted it. We are currently longterm babysitting (if you call it that) a soldiers child unrelated to us.

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Memorial day weekend, free cuts for all vets. If there willing to sacrafice there lives and yrs. I'm willing to throw a free mow to them.

If you can read this thank a teacher.
    If you can read this in english thank a vet.

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Im not sure excatly how to word this, IF you can afford to do it for free then I think its great. WE owe everything to the vetreans that have gave their time, and lives for us.

wayne

5. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Older than dirt- America has no declared language. Dont you think that statment is a little bold???

6. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

IMO that is WAAYYY too many free cuts! I have one or two that I do free from time to time, a GOOD friend on mine and my Grandfathers, and an Old Deacon at my church. THAT's IT. I know we should honor our vets and people who have had hard ships but that burden should fall on one persons back.

Just think if you do 6 Free cuts a week think how much money that is ESP. if you drive somewhere JUST to do them.

7. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

IMO that is WAAYYY too many free cuts! I have one or two that I do free from time to time, a GOOD friend on mine and my Grandfathers, and an Old Deacon at my church. THAT's IT. I know we should honor our vets and people who have had hard ships but that burden should fall on one persons back.

Just think if you do 6 Free cuts a week think how much money that is ESP. if you drive somewhere JUST to do them.

8. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

Bill and olderthandirt, i applaud you both, sure its money your losing, but you probably make that persons day, esp if they are Korea or older. Hell even stopping to listen to a story for 5 minutes would make there day. us flag us flag us flag

9. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

This wasnt directed at me but............English is still the language taught in the schools system here in VA. And a required subject till 12th grade. Other languages are an option and not required.

wayne

10. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I think if you can afford to do it and have some connection to them, then it is great. I have done some jobs for at or below cost (intentionally) because the people were truly dealing with something and my doing this made them feel so much better.

Do I do it when a guy thinks I owe him. Don't think so.