Dumb grass Q

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mikesjumpingin, Apr 6, 2003.

1. mikesjumpingin

mikesjumpingin LawnSite Member

I noticed a few lawns in my area this year with small, medium, and large patches of tan grass in the middle of an otherwise healthy lawn.

At first I thought it was a type of crabgrass or weed, but it looks like the surrounding grass, just tan. There are no "mixed" areas, just areas of an even, flat tan.

Could this most likely just be dead grass from last year's drought?

...Mike...:blob3:

2. Meier

Meier LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

If it's Bermuda, it could be Spring Dead Spot.

Later,
    DFW, TX

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

That or snow mold from all the snow we have in the NE this year. I have a lot of it on some of our lawns this year.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It could be anything this time of year. Tall fescue is another real common one that is like that this time of year.

5. mikesjumpingin

I need a good reference book, any recommendations?

6. ToG

ToG LawnSite Member

probably one of the following, chemical burn, iron deficiency, or mower blade injury. too hard to tell without pics. most other maladies seem to show uneven, irregular patterns on the lawn. btw, it's more than likely not bermuda. it's either some type of fescue or bluegrass, probably a mix. or maybe the yard contains ryegrass, which is suseptable to pythium blight, it happens when grass is wet for extended periods and poor drainage is present.

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I agree with Tog...I know its not bermuda because of your located, Pennsylvania, right? I think that its ryegrass or tall fescue.

8. mikesjumpingin

Tall fescue and blue grass are popular around here.

I once had this type of discoloration and grass death after a long snowy winter, right where I was shoveling and spilling rock salk.

But these patterns are on random parts of yards, in large blotches. Wish my digital camera was working.

mike