Dumb lesson learned!

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by tamadrummer, Apr 18, 2008.

1. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

Please listen to this Lawn guys, It will save you some money and aggravation!

I have a customer with some of the drip irrigation in her flowerbeds that was cut and needed to be repaired so I looked at it and figured that maybe I could have been responsible for cutting it since it is 3 or 4 inches away from the edge of the flowerbed and I edge the beds every time I visit. (I know I did not cut it but hey the sprinklers haven't been run in 9 months and now that I am there and have fixed the broken rotator head in the yard she wants to run the sprinklers)

Anyway, It was about 6:30pm when she called me and I went to her house to look and figured that since the John Deere Landscapes store (Irrigation warehouse) was closed I could probably get the piece of tubing I needed at Home Depot and the 2 couplings needed and be ok not going to the commercial supplier for this small fix. WRONG WRONG WRONG!!

These people sell a totally different type of drip tube, albiet the same color not the same o.d. and then the toro couplings fit the commercial tubing but not the drip tube they sell. So I unknowingly bought 100ft of the wrong sized tube and crap toro funny tube fittings, about $30 worth of junk!

Needless to say, if I would have waited until I was off I would have been able to get to the JDL store and ask for the stuff I would have had the right stuff in 2 minutes with the right couplings and had the pipe fixed in 2 minutes once I got there.

What a joke, so for all of the guys that feel the JUNK at HD/Lowes is the same as is for sale at the commercial suppliers, you are wrong and I have learned another valuable lesson! Don't go to a homeowners store for a pro's part! (Yes I do have an irrigation company that I do refferals for but not for something so simple. I won't do what I am not qualified to do. i.e. Pesticiedes/irrigation/ and tree work it is either illegal or out of my league!)

2. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

They do sell the same stuff at HD/Lowes, Ive looked there to see if it was the same. Ive seen two different sizes there. Youve probably got a different supplier where you are, maybe the reason for the diff.

This is why we alsways shop at reputable supply houses and stock fittings for things of that nature. If I dont know how to do something, or it is out of my scope (sewer etc) I call someone that does, just for this reason you mentioned, among others.

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

In a pinch once I had to buy a small roll of 1/2" drip poly pipe at HD. I was just fine. They do sell the other type as well. Works with the compression fittings I believe.

4. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

I thought comp fittings worked with both also...

Congrats on 2500. No prizes for this one.

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

No idea, never use compression fittings or that odd size pipe.

I already have the super hero decoder ring. :)

6. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

The material gets better as you go...

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Ooooohh.... can I get the x-ray goggles for finding repairs below ground? That might be a 5000 post reward.

8. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Purp could tell you, Ive only heard rumors.

9. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

The Toro funny pipe compression fittings did not fit into the pipe HD sold. The fittings that JD: sells fits into the pipe that was original installed as well as the pipe that JDL sells. Now if I had a truck stocked with spare parts then HD may work in a pinch, but I don't so I will stick to buying from the commercial guys for what I can fix and refer out what I cannot or what I know I should not be doing.

10. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Bronze Member

it sounds like you're trying to fit a funny pipe fitting into drip hose. now it's almost the same size, but it'll never truly fit.

i'll never say that depot or lowes has quality stuff, but you also gotta use the right material with the right pipe.

pg