1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dumb Question #1 - first in a series

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Stonehenge, Dec 21, 2000.

1. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

As I'd mentioned in a previous post, we don't plow snow (yet), but will likely begin next season. I've scouted prevous threads, but am left with some nagging questions.

This will be the first in a series of what may be 'dumb' questions, but they're ones that are stumping me. My hope is that when the landscaping season comes, I can provide as much help in the landscape forum to all of you as you'll likely provide for me here.

Ok, that out of the way, here's question #1:

What does everyone do during the holidays? Can you leave town for a few days to see family, or are you stuck at home just in case it snows?
  2. Alan

Alan Member

Don't plan on much time off from Dec-Mar unless you have a VERY dependable backup person. One of our bigger accounts is ours because the previous contractor (using the term loosely) didn't bother lining up a backup when he took a weekend off to go deer hunting and things iced up.
  3. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Sorry man, don't plan on time off. I have plowed many a thanksgiving in the past 16 years or so of plowing. Haven't plowed an x-mas yet but it looks possible for this year.

Just part of the biz, high proftis are in it but you got to stay around town.

4. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Sorry bud.Not in this business.The snow removal industry is just like the tow trucking business.We are on call 24 hours a day/7 days a week/365 days a year.The only way to get out of it is to have other people working for you during the peroids you want off.And don't hire untrained plower's!!!!!!!That is just stupid!I have been doing snow for about 6 years now and I have blowed on at least 3 x-mas's.I wish there was a way out of it but there are few.Sorry for the bad news!
  5. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

If you go anywhere better have a quick way back handy, and last-minute one-way airline tickets are horrendously expensive.
  6. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a landscaper that got into the snow biz this year. I'm able now that I only have a handful of accounts to ask a friend to help out when I leave town. This person is someone that I trust very much.

After a few years and a few more accounts I have to stick it out unless I have very dependable employees.

I've found that this is the main reason why a lot of landscapers don't plow snow -- the don't need to and they want their winters to relax.
  7. JCurtis

JCurtis LawnSite Senior Member

Holiday??? whats a Holiday???

I have plowed on Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years Eve and Day.

Thats not too bad, but when you have to plow on SuperBowl Sunday, well thats just way the call of duty.
  8. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Even after you hire people to plow for you. Could you ever just let it all go and not be worried if things are being done corectly? I swear I have a great group of employees but I have to be there, no matter what is going on. Even if I just call guys in to sand I still come into the office.

9. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

Made a job offer to a new salesman today. He starts 1/7/00. When we talked about winter and plowing and holidays.... my response to him was "when it snows, your butt belongs to me". Don't matter what day it is.....

I'm reminded of a recent post that I saw (here) about a fellow that gave up plowing this year and enjoyed a walk in the lightly falling snow with his child.... I missed alot in my years of plowing. Especially in this market. I have often wondered if I would do it all the same way, if I had to do it all over again. Unfortunately, I probably would. However, the thoughts of taking a walk in a light snowfall with my wife and/or kids, and not worring about whether we'll have to go out and plow - does make me think about it some (not having gotten into this business).

I've often said to my wife, that I'd love to take a vacation somewhere where it's snowing and I didn't have to go out and work in it. THAT would be nice.

Until then...

Holiday ?? What Holiday.
  10. NEAL

NEAL LawnSite Member
    from WI

If you didn't plow you would miss it. I had to stop plowing and sell my truck this year due to a cutback of hours at my regular job (house payment more important than truck payment). Winter and plowing are just in my blood! People think im crazy liking the snow but you guys know what I mean! I WILL PLOW NEXT YEAR! Luckily i have a wife that loves snow as much as me and a 7 month old daughter that will grow up in the mix of it all.