1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dumb Question #2

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Stonehenge, Dec 21, 2000.

1. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

When it's fall and you're meeting with new clients, do you take digital photos and/or notes about the area you're going to plow, so you can refer to it later when you can't see the area as well?

Along with that, here's DQ #2a: Do you discuss with the customer where the snow will be placed (both commercial and residential)?
  2. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

Pictures - no.
    Notes - lots of them.
    Where to put it - always.
  3. Psyclopse

Psyclopse LawnSite Member
    from In

I have taken a few pictures when there is alot of fancy things in the yard that could cover easy. Notes are a must, no matter what else you do. Sometimes it is a good idea to put out markers- especially with speed bumps. Poorly installed speed bumps will usually push just as easy as the snow, and then you have an irate customer. Always discuss where the snow is going to end up- and make sure the customer is SURE- don't let them try to get you to move a pile of snow later when they change their mind.
  4. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

No pictures. We'll make a few notes on each place if necessary. We always discuss where, and where not, to put the snow.
  5. HandyHaver

HandyHaver LawnSite Member

I have taken digitals of all my drives just to show the wife and playing around. Some of the customers thought it was pretty cool. I made up a file for each drive with the pics that I also have made notes on. I got too much time on my hands, need more snow!! Happy Holidays

6. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

1. Yes, digital pictures could come in very handy.

2. Driveway edge markers are also a very good idea. Use a lot of them. The closer to the edge of the drive you cut, and not the grass, the happier the customer will be.

3. Always find out where to put the snow, and if it has to be removed by the mailboxes.

4. It's also a good idea to talk to the customer about if there are going to be any cars parked on the premisis on a regular basis.

6. One of the best suggestions I can make is REVERSE LIGHTS!!! I put a set of Navigator Back-up Lights on my trailer hitch. They're worth their weight in gold! Do everything you can to make plowing easier.

7. Most importantly... TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF.

7. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe if the lot is in pretty bad shape you might take a pic or two incase the property owners says the salt did it. I never did this, but it might help???
  8. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

You should also keep a log as to time and conditions when you plow, so as to have some sort of documentation if a situation crops up several weeks later.
  9. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

TLG- Very good point. I got one job because of this. The owners wanted the previous contractor to put a time stamp on his bills, and he never dod this. I got the job (at more $$$) because I guatanteed that I would note the time on my invoices.

They want this because of a liability situation. If someone were to fall at 8:00- a.m. and I cleared the snow at 7:30 a.m. they can say that we did our best to make the area safe.

As far as documenting the lots, I will only taks a few photos of something that is damaged prior to the season, or a parking lot that is in poor shape.