Dumb question about tire pressure

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by casey, May 24, 2001.

1. casey

casey Guest

Will raising or lowering the tire pressure from recommended level decrease amount of scalping. If so, how much raised or lowered. I'm cutting neighbours with bumpy lawns who both insist on 1.5" and we scalp the hell out of it. I warned them and they don't complain but would like it to look better. Using 36" floating, anti-scalp rollers arn't adjustable on the 36.
  2. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Sure....but it would be pointless. It would be equivalent to raising or lowering the deck because it just lifts or drops the whole mower. Might as well just raise the deck a notch.
  3. casey

casey Guest

Dumb question #2
    Wouldn't harder tires go harder over bumps and scalp more?
  4. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

On a 36" floating walk behind? I doubt it.....just slow down on those bumps.
  5. Jason_S

Jason_S LawnSite Member

Not always Ray! On our Lesco's, the deck is raised/lowered by spacers on the caster type wheels, the back will scalp if the tires get low. Once they are up to pressure, my mysterious clearance problem disapears!

Guess it depends on the mower
  6. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

Vibe-Ray was talking about the floating deck that Casey has (not fixed). The height of the deck is changed with pins and the deck hangs from a frame. This allows the deck to "Float" over whatever is comes across and lift up without lifting the weight of the mower.

7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

the increased pressure might help but you would have to reset your mower for this customer ,when what they want you to do is wrong.
    id just let it be until they decide to let you do it rght.
  8. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Do some experimenting out on the driveway with air pressure and a tape measure. Raising tire pressure will raise the entire mower some. You can always raise the back a little more than the frt of vice versa. It won't do a whole lot but might be just enough. You could also play with your blade spacers to get the blades a little higher in the deck. Maybe a combination of both would work.

P.S. That was a legitimate question, not a dumb one. Never hesitate to ask something for fear of being ridiculed, you might miss out on a million dollar answer!
  9. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

The tire pressure should stay at the manufacture recomended level. I check the pressure in my lazer every day. The front tires are bad about getting pinhole leaks and have to be plugged regurly. They should be 8 ply tires since they are smooth. After that adjusting the deck and hitting the uneven parts of the yards correctly is all you can do
  10. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

just a thought if you scalp the lawn a (lets say) 1.5 inches because of how the terrain is set up does it mean that you won't scalp it at 2.0 inches????? chances of you doing so is a 50/50 chance. i have a account similar to this i was scalping at 3.0 inches and raised it to 3.5 for the rest of the year ( this year) and in some sports i don't scalp but others i scalp it the same a i did at 3.0". i do it with the lazer so when i know i'm gunna hit a spot that i always scalp i pull the deck up some and it doesn't scalp. unfortunaltiy you cannot do this with a w/b but next time you mow that account pull up on the back handles (trying to pick the backend off the ground) it might give you what you need.

good advice homer, good question casey