Dumb Questions, I guess

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Guardian, May 1, 2001.

1. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I have only been part of this sight for a short time. I have only heard of "double blades" here & I guess I have to ask - Are we really talking about bolting 2 blades to 1 spindle? Do they line up any special way? Is this good for the mower? What if I have a mulching setup instead of side discharge? On a different note, Do most engage their Blades at low RPMs? Is this better that at full?
    Sorry for asking questions that are basic for "Lawnsiters"

2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I use double blades, got the idea from eric elm, and its excellent. I dont think its too good on your blade belt, but try it and see the cut you get. i just put mine on in an X, and its great for mulching.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Welcome to Lawnsite. Try the search function, it works wonderfully. You'll find all the info you will need on double blades and many other topics.

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I have a page on double blades on my website with pictures, I have a search page for Lawnsite on my website with 76 topics. 2 fo them are on double blades with many threads on this topic. All this can be found on my website by clicking my little red house below.

Engage your blades at as low of rpm's as possible without stalling out the engine.

If you read all the posts on all the treads on the search page, you will know everything there is to know about doubles.

5. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

Ditto what Eric said :)

6. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Every mower manual that I have read (4 different brands) have said to engage the blades at full throttle. I've seen many here at LS suggest engaging at low RPM's. Why is this so I know. I tend to follow the directions that I'm given from the manufacturers with equipment. Please enlighten me. Thank you.

PS I would think its better to put less stress on the belts & spindles by engaging at lower RPM's, but I figure there must be a good reason to engage at full throttle if the directions say to.

7. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I usually ingage my blades at low rpm's....not becouse of wearing out the engine or anything,but becouse here in Canada a pto belt for a Walker is $60.00!!!Yes a belt!!!

8. Cleve

Cleve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Rockmart, GA

Right on about the Walker. And you know that Walker has the belts made special just for them. I always engage at a low RPM to try and save the belt.
    Same goes for my Toro WB. I assume it is good for the electric clutch as well as the belt.
    Cleve.

9. J1705

J1705 LawnSite Member

Mine are lined up like a + with a mulching kit. Cuts grass great one time over with double blades.

10. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

engaging at a lower rpm saves on the clutch. i engaged 65hoss's on the laser one day and threw the belt clean off the pulleys.