1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dumb ?'s About My New Enclosed Trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Whitey4, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I just put a deposit on a Wells Cargo Road Force RF6101 6X10 enclosed trailer. As soon as my new truck gets in (on order, F150) I will go get the trailer. My S10 long bed can't tow this thing.

This is my first enclosed trailer. Rear ramp, side door. 1/4" ply interior walls. Not very thick. Just how much room is there between the wood and the aluminum skin? How long should the screws for interior racks be? Should I add extra wood in the areas I want to mount racks on?

Should I shop for racks or make something myself? I'm not worried about anti-theft security since the trailer is enclosed, but I don't want my weed whacker flying off the rack either. If it's best to buy racks, which manufacturer would you suggest? I want my gear to be held securely, but want the equipment hung so I can access them quickly without fussing around too much.

I'm concerned that the 1/4" ply won't hold very well. Seems like screws would eventually just rip out. I'm thinking I should add some 1X4 solid wood on top of the 1/4" ply and screw it in with a boatload of screws, and then mount racks on the 1X4's.

Any and all suggestions MOST welcomed!

PS: I just realized this is probably the wrong forum... sorry mods.
  2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I thought they used 1x3's behind the sheets. I could be wrong.
  3. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

We use Trimmer Trap racks in our enclosed trailer, and they have worked very well for about 3 years.

For the blowers, we just use some hooks that we picked up at Home Depot. We use the same hook for the air tank, and a different type of hook for the ladder.

Get self tapping screws, and go into the wall studs.

You will enjoy your trailer, and you went a great brand. We have a Pace, and it's doing good, but if I did it over I might get Well Cargo.

We also put shelves in the front, and they work great.

As far as the Trimmer and blowers, we keep the ones we are using that day on the floor, eazy reach from the side door. This way you don't need to always step in and out of the trailer.

Something else we did was used 2x4's on the floor. We used some of them to hold the gas cans in place, and some in front and behind the rear tires of the ztr's keeps them from moving at all. Also, the 2x4 for the mowers, we always know where to the stop them, we never need to move them to make room for something else.

That's all I can think of, I'm sure other guys have some better ways of doing things, but all this works for us.

Hope this helps. :)
  4. ambersLawnmowing

ambersLawnmowing LawnSite Senior Member

They make the bolts for this type of thing. They have a wing nut "thing" that folds and slips through the hole and then once itis in there the arms fold out and allows you to bolt things in. I wouldnt use a drywall screw or anything like that. That is the cheap way, If you do it right then yes put in more studs.
  5. PLS-Tx

from Texas

Why would you want/need to put in more studs? :confused:
  6. ambersLawnmowing

ambersLawnmowing LawnSite Senior Member

I didnt mean studs. I meant like a backer board, style thing. Figure out where your monting things and mark it, Then put a peice of wood behind that and screw through the plywood and the backer board. Or put up thicker plywood.
  7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

If you want to do it like the trailer companies that outfit them.....then go to Northerntool.com and type in "E-track". This is a track that you put all along the trailer both sides and it is screwed into the metal frames. Then they have this device tha fits into the track. Local weld shop can make you whatever device to hold things. They use a deer horn configuration to hold trimmers. Sorry I am not a photo guy but maybe someone else might have a custom outfitted trailer made especially for lawn companies. Lot of those companies in south.
  8. PLS-Tx

from Texas

O.k., but I wouldn't do it this way.

I think you would be better off going into the studs.
  9. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

Definately screw the racks into the "studs" Its usually just cheap hat bar on the light duty trailers. I just built shelves in mine (8.5 x 20's) I would also screw some 3/4 inch plywood around the bottom, so a mower doesn't poke a hole through the skin.
  10. Magnum Services

Magnum Services LawnSite Member

I used 1 1/2 long self tapping metal screws on my enclosed trailer for mounting the equipment racks and NONE came through to the outside! You will love your trailer for it gives great security because if no one can see in it then there is less chance someone will try to steal from it!:drinkup: