Dumb things you have done.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wangel, Jun 7, 2001.

1. Wangel

Wangel LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

I was down at equipment dealer picking up a few parts yesterday when Jim the parts manager told me about a fellow who bought a John Deere last year. A white collar businessman type. He has refused all services. Anyway, he called a few times complaining about not being able to start his mower this season. Of course, he made no preparations last fall. Seems he left the gas tank half full. Anyway, appears he tried starting the mower with starter fluid and it would start, run for about 30 seconds, and quickly die. Desperately needing to cut his grass, he had his wife walking behind his mower with a can of starter fluid, giving the engine a quick squirt each time it felt like it was going to die. After a while of cutting, the engine developed a backfire, and shot fire out the carburetor catching this womans hair on fire, along with slight burning to her face.:angry:

Have you done anything dumb lately?
  2. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

I hit a mailbox last week, it didn' fall down or anything like that. Then, I got caught in a swing. Then, I also got caught in a chain link fence. The swing and the fence happened with the mower handle bars. Maybe I should get the new ECS from Exmark.
  3. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

Lst year I used a come a long to lengthen pull strap in a pinch to pull out a shrub. My strap wasn't long enough to reach the truck so I added the come a long. I wound up blowing the thing apart and the whole ratchet part shot like a line drive down the street and across a busy road . Luckily nobody was hurt and nothing was damaged.
    Last time I do that. Could have been messy.

4. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

I took out a loan with American General man did it hurt.
  5. jdseven

jdseven LawnSite Member

I changed the blades on my 36" but I put the washers in the wrong place on the shaft so one blade was lower than the other. Then I did not put the wrenchs back in my truck had to drive 5 miles back to my house. Guess who lines up the blades now.
  6. ron

ron LawnSite Senior Member

Cutting 8 ft shrubs that were 35 ft long just finished cutting lost balance falling to the ground spliting back of my head on pool deck,having a compressed fracture to my T-12,no work for 8 weeks lost 98% of my 43 clients,will start working again in July.....
  7. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

On sulky, forgot to duck under a 4 inch branch I've been cutting for a year or so. Didnt relize it untill 5 min later when I woke up laying on the grass. Wondering why my head hurt and the mower was in some buches 10 ft ahead & shut off. Took 10 min shook it off, finished the lawn and went home for the day. Man that hurt, luckly I cary pain killers in the truck. Customer wasnt home neither were the neighbors. Never hit that branch again.:eek:

Yesterday I left my pruners & gloves on the trailer, let just say someone walking down the road was happy.

Ran over a dog chain 1st cut of the year.
  8. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

That reminds me....I wrapped up an electricians fish tape 12 ft long around a spindle.

The guy I bought my ztr from told me he was watching the deck and a tree branch pinned him against the catcher.
  9. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Let's see ... I'll just talk about a new commercial accoutn that I got. I spent an hour cutting stuff that he didn't want cut, had a belt pop because I was cutting stuff too heavy for the mower, no extras in the trailer. Went and got the backup mower (JD 318) and was very disappointed in the job it was doing. Started to rain so I left, the place looked awful. Came back on monday after getting my $58 belt, all set. So happy to have my main mower back in commission that I ran over a sprinkler head, careless. Went to cut the grass at church just after thath and destroyed the water meter cover. Talk about a ding in my blades. :(

Ditto the American General loan. Ow! Ow! Ow! :eek:
  10. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

well I put my blades on up-side down lst time i changed them an ddrrr....it took me half the lawn to relize something want right .....!!!!!