Dumb thread makes me $$

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by desert rose gardening, May 2, 2005.

1. desert rose gardening

desert rose gardening LawnSite Senior Member

A while back someone started a thread, What order do you do mowing? Edge, mow, blow? Mow, edge, blow? So I'm thinking this person is just starting out and has no clue. Of course you edge first, mow, blow! DERRR!! So I go OK, tomorrow I will mow, edge, blow. Well, I can not believe how much time I have wasted over the years edging first! When I started being a LCO I had my routine of edging first that way it is easer to mow. I now have found out that when I'm done mowing there is only a few spots to get with the weed whip! Great time saver. And I'm glad my motto is "Theres always room for improvement"

2. mastercare

mastercare LawnSite Senior Member

I will change it up throughout the day so I don't get bored. I do like trimming first sometimes becuase its nice to put the mower on the trailer and have nothing left but the blower.

As far as edging.....It only makes a difference in one scenario: when the grass is damp. If its wet, and you edge first, you push the sod against (and sometimes hanging over) the edge you just made. So, it works better to edge after you cut with wet grass. Otherwise, It doesn't make a difference.

Lots of experience too will tell you how much you need to trim before you cut. I personally would rather do a little more trimming, and not have to put my mower in such tight spaces to cut everything.

3. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

I've always MOwed, Trimmed, blow.......

I only trim what I have to, no guess work and no pulling out the trimmer for a second time ....

unless I have a second guy with me then some of the trimming is done first....

4. Precislawn

Precislawn LawnSite Member

It depends on the property.

If the clippings will be bagged then I trim, edge, and blow first, then mow. This leaves the lawn looking very clean, and prevents the need to blow twice.

If the lawn will be mulched then I mow first then trim, edge and blow.

Mowing before edging and trimming is more efficient as you trim only what the mower missed.

5. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

i feel bad for the moron who blows first lol

6. BobcatZT

BobcatZT LawnSite Member

LMAO!

That was the first thing that came to my mind also. :dizzy:

7. Cut

Cut LawnSite Member

Oh man, how long have you been edging first?

8. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I guess you guys dont have to edge drives and graden beds everytime? I allways Edge first but with a stick edger then mow and trim and blow off last.

9. desert rose gardening

desert rose gardening LawnSite Senior Member

Too Long! like 21 years

10. T Edwards

T Edwards LawnSite Member

Turf......some guys don't edge at all. They call it that, but they're really trimming.