1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dumbest Equipment Purchases You've Made.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Micky, Aug 8, 2001.

1. Micky

Micky Banned

Since I don't want to slam too many manufacurers won't go into extensive details why these were REALLY DUMB PURCHASES. I include how long I used them for at the end of each item.

1) Troy-Bilt 33" mower-- (not built for hard comm. use)-2 weeks

2)Troy-Bilt 5hp Shredder Vac-- (WB with a bag 10* faster vac couldn't shred a pencil)-5 lawns

3)Sutech Stealth--Still not sure what this clunker was built for.-3 days

4)Echo curved shaft trimmer--Discovered Echo straight shaft about a month later.-1 month

5)Handheld Blower--Discovered backpack second year in biz.-1 year

6)Echo HCR-1500 hedge clipper--Discovered Echo HC2410 a few years later.-3 years

7)Toro 21" with 6.5 Briggs--The 2 cycle is so much better.-6 months

All these machines are either collecting dust or sold. Coulda saved a fortune had I found Lawnsite 7 years ago.
  2. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

Only one:

Sutech stealth - 1 hour - sold at 300$ loss
  3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

a green and yellow mower that was suppose to mean i had arrived.good thing is it had a good resale value
  4. Grapevine

Grapevine LawnSite Member

Echo Stick Edger. Tried it and really intended to use it, but I just didn't like it. I just bought the Tanaka TPH-270 articulating hedge trimmer from Alamia.com, hope I like it. My dealer had the Echo Hca 2400 for some ridiculous price and decided to see if I could do better online, so we'll see. I'm all for staying with the same dealer cause he'll fix you quick in a jam, but I get a little tired of getting bent over the chair and having him pick my pocket.
  5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Hmmm, when I bought my Homelite 3 years ago and realized I would need something better down the road. Actually, the thing still runs and trims and edges all my lawns every week for 3 years, but I wish I had a Stihl :cool:
  6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

36" Honda tru-gear. Cut good, but the controls were terrible. Nobody wanted to use it. It would wear you out. 4 months I sold it.

Encore mower. Spindles suck, along with anything else that can break. Still have it, makes a good w/b bushhog.

Every bagger for a w/b I ever bought.
  7. i think that most of us, when we are starting out buy stuff that we think we will need. then later on we find out that a more expensive machine would have worked much better. we realize that starting with commercial machines is the best idea, and that using homeowners machines for commercial work is a waste of time and money. i remember some stuff that i bought that was dumb. i remember when i was about 8 or 9 years old i purchased a walk behind reel mower. the kind that you power yourself. figured i could cut grass with it. yeah right. well i junked it a couple weeks back.
  8. dhicks

dhicks Member

No laughing... But I bought a Poulan Chain Saw 13". Junk-Junk-Junk. I did get a Shindawa as a replacement and man is that Smoooooooth as compared to the Poulan.:blob4:
  9. baldbeefman

baldbeefman LawnSite Member

33" Snapper Z-Rider, used maybe 3 times total, before I put it up for sale. Three months later someone finally stole it (I hope the burgler doesn't return it):angel: .
  10. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

WeedEater Blower-Not Long, cant remember it was 1985.

Weedeater Trimmer - I believe this was the one that lasted about 5 minutes before it blew up.

Echo single side HT- Bent the blades within 30 minutes

Sachs-Dolmar 21" mower - used it for maybe 4 hours total, couldn't even find blades for it. The worst part my best dealer sold me this POS. I lost a lot of respect for him for that.

Stihl 020 Super Chain Saw used - Once again from the above dealer. Supposed to be a low hour machine. Within hours it needed major repairs and after fixed lasted 5 minutes.

Toro 21" Commercial- The first two were excellent this was a lemon. I should have bought a 36" the day I spent $950 on this piece.

GreenMachine curved shaft trimmer- once again this was in the early days and it never ran right.