Dump Bed Conversion on a Pick up

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Petr51488, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Do any of you have the conversion kit for the pick up beds to make it a dump bed? I've seen the conversion kits on sale in the northern tool magazines. It sounds like a real great idea. Costs about 1,000.00. It would make unloading easier and basically eliminate the need for a dump trailer. (for my needs at least) Are there any downsides in having one of these? It will be used on a 2500hd 8 foot bed chevy.

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Installation and bending the bed to name a couple

3. Petr51488

from NJ

Just curious.. It basically comes with everything you need to install it. How would it bend the bed?

4. John Gamba

from ct

Most kits you will need to remove the bed and weld brackets on the frame then lower the bed on theses brackets. To bend the bed, if you put to much weight on the front it will bend. also some complainants are the bed moves side to side when you are driving.

Unless your a great welder and can support the bed in the air you are better off getting one where they will install it for you.

OH i forgot that you will need to push back the receiver if you need to tow a trailer.

The smart move is to make a flat bed dump:)

5. John Gamba

from ct

stealth does yours need welding and what does it cost.

6. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

look at $800+ for a hydraulic................about $2300 for an airbag system

the bed lines of your truck are going to be off as it will raise the bed about 3"

the bed of a truck is also not very sturdy nor engineered in strength for such operations without considerable modification

i was all over reading up on converting my bed on my '02 2500hd but when it came down to it i couldn't haul that much and i was risking messing up my bed

i ended up finding a 6x10 10,000GW dump trailer that hadn't been used much for $3,000 ($5,000 new), quickly hooked it to my truck and have been very happy with my decision..........trust me, get a dump trailer or just get a dump truck........i can haul 7,500lbs in my dump tailer, LEGALLY! vs my truck

7. Petr51488

from NJ

Thanks for the info. I will have this installed by someone else, not me , so the welding part won't be a problem. I just can't justify spending 3,000 more on another trailer that i wont use that often. I would only use this bed dump for dumping grass at the dump and firewood. Thats about it. Sure, a few other things may come up too, but those are the two main reasons. I also so one of those mats that go into the truck bed and you basically roll out the stuff thats in there (grass/firewood) Anyone ever try that?

8. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

I've heard great things about them, I forget what the heck they call them.

9. Petr51488

from NJ

Its called a load handler its about 200.00 for the kit. roller and matt.

10. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member