dump bed inserts - those that have used or own

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by adforester, Jan 29, 2011.

1. adforester

adforester LawnSite Member

I've been considering a dump bed insert

I have 1 truck, its an f350 4x4 06 single rear wheel. I use this as my personal truck as well as business.
    I put everything in the back of it from mulch, logs, wood, dirt, leaves, rocks, etc. etc.
    I didn't want to get a dump truck because of taxes, gas mileage, i would have needed another car for personal etc.

So I am wondering for those who have used dump bed inserts or own them how they work in the single rear wheel trucks? I'm considering a dumperdogg as I found a good price on them.

Here's the thing, I want to be able to carry a pallet of stone in the back, I know the payload is 4,000 pounds and if I have an insert that weighs 800 pounds it brings the payload down to 3,200 and a pallet of stone weighs 3,000 pounds so that leaves me with 200 pounds left payload, that's how much I weigh lol
    How much do they affect gas mileage, ride quality, and payload for stone and mulch? Any other info you think I should know would be good.
    I just wanna make sure I consider my options cause these things are expensive!!!
    I would consider a dump trailer but I already have a trailer for my mower and parking space is VERY Limited where I am at.
    I hate having to get up there and fork out limbs, etc. am I just getting lazy lol? I'm 25 but have been doing this for years and am really trying to keep my back supple, sit down mower and hopefully now a dump insert beer belly here I come:drinkup::weightlifter:

2. adforester

[​IMG]

they also have poly ones, same weight $300 more bones

3. seabee24

seabee24 LawnSite Senior Member

Bad, I would never do it again. With sides and rear doors, mine was around 1100 lbs. Here is the issue. Anythig less than 2000 total load is really no big deal with a heavy duty truck. Anything over and you start to really "use" the truck......so that means if you install it, you can only put 1000 lbs in it before the truck starts to feel it. 10000 isn't much. That 3200 lbs of stone, comes in at 4,000 and let me tell you your truck will feel that difference big time. One too many straws that break the camels back. If you need a dump truck, then sell your pick up
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

Love it. I have a Bri-Mar in my 2500. A single rear wheel pickup with a dump is unbeatable maneuverability. I put 2 yards of top soil in mine if I dont need the dump trailer and for mulch I throw the 12" wooden sides on to get 3 1/2 yards. Id do a pallet of stone, a standard one but they can often pile on way more than 3k on those pallets.

5. adforester

Ya i went on the scale and one pallet weighed just over 3,368 pounds! I guess if your getting pallets in a srw mine as well get it delivered!
    I'm glad to hear you can put 2 yards of top soil w/ insert

seas bea - I know what you mean about the 2,000 pounds, anything less and I pretty much don't feel it either in my f350, so i suppose with a insert i would feel it

6. adforester

http://www.downeastermfg.com/flatbed.html

Downeaster makes a flatbed kit that is made for a SRW
    specs:
    DEK8584 8.5FT SINGLE 102" 84" 56"

the pic of the truck farthest down (looks like a black f350) has srw with the kit, looks nice, wonder about the weight and who in the world
    stocks those things? it was hard enough finding a dumperdogg that was cheap and local

7. rauder01

rauder01 LawnSite Member

I have 3 dumps in 3 of our 3/4 ton trucks,one has been in 14 yrs and abused we can haul 5yds of mulch without any problems been doing it for yrs just need to take it easy and know how to drive with a loaded truck
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

how high are your sides? 5 yards of mulch would probably bottom my 2500 right out

9. freshcut419

freshcut419 LawnSite Member

10. Georgia Lawn Works LLC

Georgia Lawn Works LLC LawnSite Senior Member

I think you would be fine with a 2500. Ive put 3 yards in a 1500 before. It was only about an inch away from the bump stops.