Dump bed/Salter?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by cutntrim, Nov 14, 2000.

1. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

My partner and I are getting pretty tired of emptying leaves/grass out of the beds of our trucks by hand, and loading bags of salt into our tailgate salters by hand in the winter. I wonder if there is a dump box insert for a pickup that might also come with a removable salter? So that when salting you elevate the dump box to empty the bed feeding the salt into a spinner back under the tailgate. I'm going to search the net for something like that, but I thought I'd ask you guys first. It'd be great to get one piece of equipment that could be used all year-round.

2. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

I know I've seen dump beds for pickups, but I don't know if that would do what you're looking for. Might want to check Northern Tools.

-Tim

3. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

4. cutntrim

Thanks Geoff, I'll check them out.

5. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

i have a truck craft insert and just purchased a salter for it this year
    all electric

6. cutntrim

Geoff,
    The sandspreader looked exactly like what we're after. I e-mailed them to ask about Ontario distributors and if it is also effective using only salt. The maxidump site didn't have anything that looked similar. It only showed standard dump inserts, no augers/spinners for salt or sand.

7. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

My frind owns that exact set up, he ran pea stone through his, if it will spread pea stone sand/salt should be no problem.

The cost of the insert body from Costal Metal Fab, makers of the the Downeaster spreader, is $ 1800 us, I think that is installed. The cost of the spreader I am not sure on, but It may be worth a trip to maine, to cut out the middle man. However your looking at a 10 or 12 hour road trip, i think.

Geoff

8. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

First the Down East company is 45minutes from our company and they sell EZ Dumper inserts with optional tailgate spreader, the Maxi Dump is the same configuration, the down side to the spreaders are they are not a self feed you have to raise bed to feed the auger. This means when you get towards empty your insert is way up in the air and can catch low powerlines and limbs. If this doesnt cause a problem they are a decent unit running around $1700 EZ Dumper and $2400 spreader and the Maxi Dump insert is more and spreader is close to the same cost. Hope this helped shed some light on this subject as a matter of fact by weeks end we have to go up to DownEast to pick some parts up Ill try to get some more litarture for you.

9. cutntrim

Geoff: A road trip to Maine would be lovely...but it's too far. I'll probably phone them and ask about CDN distributors.

Obryan: The truckcraft model looks cool in the aluminum. Is the T-120 aluminum model with the T-130 spreader the same one you've got. If so how much did you shell out for it?

Brian: Thanks for the info. So it'd be $4100.00US for the EZ dumper + tailgate spreader? Pretty pricey. And the Maxidump equivalent is more expensive still? "Aiieee carrrumba!" Convenience is costly.

10. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Dont quote me on costs but i bet im within a couple hundred of dollers of list price. I go to the Fryburg fair up here in Maine its only 1/2 or so from home and Down East always bring down there stuff in exibit area. Nice stuff they got, plus if I have a problem im only 45 minutes from them. Give them a call tommorow and find prices then give me a email see how far I was off ok. I also live in Maine!