Dump bed/truck question

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by nobagger, Mar 11, 2007.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

We are puting in a Downeaster dump bed insert in our 06 F250 Super Duty. It has a heavy suspension package on it (5 leafs and 1 helper per side). The payload says 2900lbs but the bed alone is 850ish pounds. My question is, you guys who have them, did you beef up the rear suspension any and how much if you did.

2. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

instead of beefing up the rear suspension anymore, just get a set of timbrens for the rear.

3. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

I second the Timbrens, that's what I did with mine.

4. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

So with Timbrens and related products..........all we're really doing is saying "hey, I'm not as loaded as I look" to the police as we drive by? Your GVW doesn't change. May prevent sagging etc but the vehicle is still being over loaded.......am I missing it?

5. nobagger

from Pa

Not in all cases, I see what your saying though. In my case I will not be overloaded with a payload of 2900lbs. The suspension (differential,axles ect.) are a 1 ton any way the only difference is the 250's are 1 spring short of being a 1 ton truck. Even if I just leave it alone I will be at or just under the payload rating...2900lbs-850(dump bed)=2050lbs then minus the load. Our typical load will be grass clippings and stuff like that every day and the occasional 2-5 yards of much. I just hate it when a truck saggs,even a little.

6. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

first of all, I'm not the kind of guy who believes in buying a cheaper piece of equipment and then trying to just barely make it work... So lets not try to go in that direction. For what he wants to do, a set of timbrens is the obvious choice without getting into reworking the springs and rear suspension. They will take some of the load off of the springs and hopefully save some money in the long run by way of not compressing the crap out of the rear shocks and near bottoming out the truck! It has nothing to do with how much weight it makes the truck look like its carrying to the cops! I've got timbrens on the front off all my trucks with plows and a set in my truck that has a dump insert for this exact same reason... that is to save the equipment.

7. nobagger

from Pa

Exactly, I just want to help out the rear springs when loaded. When its not loaded the insert wont be a problem at all. I'm going to start with Timbren's then if it squats too much (remember I hate it when a truck squats down) I'll go with just 1 extra leaf in each rear spring.

8. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

OK, here is a dumb question.

I hear all of this timbren talk but have no clue as to what one is or what it looks like.

Can you all enlighten me please?!!

Thank you,

Tim

9. nobagger

from Pa

Tim, these are very thick rubber "bumper stops" that go either on the front of a truck (for plowing) or the rear for heavy loads. They are about 4-5" long and about 3-4" round. They bolt right onto the frame of your truck. In a nut shell, they prevent any heavy load from brinning down the truck too far (sagging). Hope that helped.

10. patpls

patpls LawnSite Member
    from Mn

Hey Guys, got to agree with getting some timbrens. Other than saving your springs has helped with evening the ride when towing my 10,000lbs dump trailer. Will be getting timbrens for all trucks from now on!