Dump Body or Rack Body?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by farmboy52787, Feb 29, 2008.

1. farmboy52787

farmboy52787 LawnSite Member

I am going to be purchasing a GMC 3500 Diesel this Spring and i dont know if i should get a rack body or dump body. I am doing the following

I will be using a billygoat debris loader (mounted to the trailer tongue) to load grass clippings and leaves into the back. So it will need higher sides and a cover to prevent clippings and leaves from going everywhere
    I will put a sander on it during the winter and plow with it during the winter.
    I will use it to haul barkmulch and possibly gravel
    I may use it to haul salt sand before winter
    I will be towing an enclosed trailer (as soon as i buy one) with it.
    I live on a farm so i may help out my father by hauling round bales or square bales of hay or pallets of something
    I want to mount a toolbox to the frame.
    I looked at the switch-n-go but it didnt really interest me, it just more money.

Also if people tell me to get a rack body what kind of floor should it have, wood or steel or diamond plate? I have only owned a pickup and shoveling grass and leaves sucks. Also if anybody recommends a brand of body that would be helpful as well.

Just looking for everyones input and pros and cons of the experience they have had.

Thanks

2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Platform dump with a smooth steel floor so everything slides off real easy.

3. farmboy52787

looking for any more input...

Thanks

4. kreft

kreft LawnSite Bronze Member

we have a 5500 rack dump and it was the best decision ever! We can haul dirt, stone, and mulch, still being able to dump the body. We take the sides off for pallets of pavers, skid steer atachments, wood, and every other projects we take on. I wood also get the steel floor, more durable, and won't rot like wood.

It sounds like rack dump would be perfect for you.

5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Rack body dump with a steel floor.

6. farmboy52787

as far as the racks, how durable are they? Are they easy to take off and put on? Are they all the same?

7. OhioMowerGuy

OhioMowerGuy LawnSite Senior Member

I got a nice 2007 gmc 3500 diesel for sale on here.

8. vadeere

vadeere LawnSite Member

x2 I would look at a flatbed with stake pockets and use wood sides. You can have 2 sets, one low set for when you are towing or hauling something heavy like gravel, and a high set for your debris loading applications.

9. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

stake body sides with expanded metal sides works wonders... you can load anything from any angle.... you can allways put a solid board on the walls to haul sand...

if its a choice get a rack dump and have the best of both worlds

10. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Seeing you are using a regular 1 ton look at a aluminum flatdeck. Keep things light but strong so your not eating up payload.

A regular dump body is heavy and on a 1 ton truck it will leave you with maybe 3000lbs legal payload. A dumping flat should give you 4000-4500 depending on your final tare weight.