Dump Body

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by CLC, Jan 30, 2003.

1. CLC

CLC LawnSite Member

Im looking at new Dump Body's What is the standard "yardage" of the bed?

2. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

What chassis? What wheelbase? What's the intended use?

3. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Look in the Truck Forum of this website, I've been reading alot there about dump body's and such.
    Do a search :cool:
    Matt

4. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

It basically depends on the size of your cab and chassis. Im picking up a Mits C/O with a Reading Landscape dump body, which, volume wise, can hold over 14 yards. Most Mason dumps hold 3-5 yards.

5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The dump box on my previous truck was 12x7.5 with 20" sides it would hold 3 yards but it was overloading the truck when I hauled gravel or moist topsoil. You can have a box that will haul alot of light bulky material but you really have watch on loading aggregate materials. With my previous truck which was a 88 F-Superduty I came out of the gravel pit with 9000lbs on the truck a little too much weight I liked to keep the loads around 6000lbs.

With a 8 foot box you can fill it full and the truck will be at the right weight if you have a 10-12 you will have to know your material weights as it will be real easy to overload the truck.

Personally I wouldn't have a truck with a 8 foot box as I haul lumber so a 8 foot box isn't anygood for hauling 20 foot long wood. I also haul rubbish which is light usually you can't get enough on the truck to overload the truck it does have one benefit I make more money the customer pays for two trips instead of one :D