dump idea

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by soccer coach, Sep 29, 2002.

1. soccer coach

soccer coach LawnSite Member
    from midwest

I just bought a new trailer and got it home today. Wife wasn't too happy about doing it on a Sunday but I still have abit of rear left :p . The trailer is 14 by 6'5" tandem axle with a 4'5" gate. I wasn't going to get this size but it was a last in stock type of deal from a dealer that bit the dust. I bought it for 800.00. I'm trying to think of a different way to unload trimmings from shrubs and leaves,branches, etc. I used to put a tarp down in the bottom and try and pull it out once I got enough stuff off the top. I thought about using a winch somehow to pull out the load. A normal load would be close to 1500 lbs. or so and takes forever to unload by hand. I thought about a dump trailer but that is dow the road some. Thanks for any suggestions.
  2. jocko1104

jocko1104 LawnSite Member

If you are taking it to the dump I beleive that the tractor guy will pull it out for you if you have a chain connected to the bottom of the tarp.
  3. Is there going to be a gate on the back?

A winch in the front with the cable running under the trailer with a pully on the back end then running back up to the front attached to an old tire rim or pallet should do the trick.

Same concept with a pallet or tire then pulled out via tied to a post or tree.

This is the cheapest way to go.

Other than that you are going to spend some real money.
  4. soccer coach

soccer coach LawnSite Member
    from midwest

Yes I will have the gate on it. The guy in the back hoe just sits on his rear and watches you unload by hand and will not drag it off for anything. I even offered to swing some cash his way. On hot days with a big load I want to climb up his ladder and slap the taste out of his mouth. The pallet idea might work good. Any other ideas?
  5. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

lol Soccer coach!!! the guy on the large machine at my dump does the same thing. Sits and watches me while I spend 20 minutes unloading the trailer at times when he could pull it off with the machine in 10 seconds!!! :angry:
  6. jocko1104

jocko1104 LawnSite Member

My guys will usually pull it off, even if he doesn't, i just attach the chain to a spike and pull the truck out. same thing.
  7. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

Same thing here.
  8. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

Years ago I helped my uncle reroof a house. He put a pallet in front of his trailer and attached a chain to it. The guy at the dump pulled it out with a smile. Guess that's just the way here in Mayberry!
  9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have the same size trailer but it has stake pockets. I built 4' sides on it and made the drivers side so I can lift it out. A cheap suggestion is that if you have lots of debris then use multiple poly tarps in layers. Put one on the bottom and then put another one on after every foot or two of debris that you add. I like to use big tarps and leave alot of material on the far end so I can make a good tail to pull. Good Luck.
  10. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

i havnt been to a dump in over 10 years I used to use a piece of chain link fence and pull it out with the ztr