1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Dump Insert Install

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by SECTLANDSCAPING, Jun 16, 2013.

1. SECTLANDSCAPING

SECTLANDSCAPING LawnSite Member

I was looking at a used poly dumper dog. I was wondering what do I have to do to mount it? Theres no way I can just bolt thru the bed. So what do I use a piece of channel under the bed?

2. trock

trock LawnSite Senior Member

They use the bed bolts that go through the truck frame.

3. SECTLANDSCAPING

SECTLANDSCAPING LawnSite Member

ok that sounds easier then making new holes.

Would there be a problem putting a 8ft dumper on a 6.5ft bed?

The company that makes steel ones does 9ft inserts on 8ft beds. So it shouldnt matter but I guess it all depends on the manufacture.

4. mlavin73

mlavin73 LawnSite Member

I have a Downeaster dump bed in my truck. I think the dealer drilled new holes in the bed. I don't think they used existing bed mounts in my install.

5. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

EZ dumper has to drill their own holes...

6. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

they just put mine right through the floor of the bed. that's it. never had a problem. Stock Pick up boxes look nice but they are junk. Save your money and put a hoist under a little flatbed and sell the box. I totaled my truck box plowing last winter... I was kinda' glad actually. I was looking for a reason to scrap that box and put a dump on it. Love it!

7. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

The place that installed mine fabbed 4 big brackets, bolted those to the truck frame and bolted the insert to those. Probably overkill but definitely good to go.

No way would I put an 8 foot insert in a 6.5 foot bed. Overloading the rear axle is a big enough problem as it is, you will compound it greatly by adding all that loaded weight behind the axle. I'd either get a 6.5 foot insert or better yet a pickup with a useful bed- a full 8 feet. Never made any sense to me to buy a work truck with a dinky little bed.